cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Guru
Message 1 of 10

Broadband Usage

My daughter has been on holiday since the 1st August, but as of today, according to her MY BT account she has used 3.5GB of her allowance. Apart from a visit from me for two hours, there has been no one in the house. BT Fon is switched on.

Just concerned where this usage has come from. Any suggestions how I can find out?
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Broadband Usage

BTFon should not count towards her usage. Does she have any BT TV packages that could be updating?

See this recent link about the same complaint

http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Broadband-Usage-Impossible/td-p/955796

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 3 of 10

Not really comforting. But thanks.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

You could always power down the Homehub while she is away then check the usage when she comes back. If it still shows usage then you know there is a problem that BT will beed to address.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 5 of 10

Hmm. I know she will have left some scheduled recordings on her Vision Box, but maybe an idea.
Multiplying this usage up it still is within her normal average but I am just interested where 3.5GB comes from within an empty house. And I suppose what is more revealing is that BT cannot tell you but "its just what our system says you have used", which if they are going to bill you they should be able to.

OK, thanks for your help.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

This is what happened to me changed over from virgin took the three month discounted deal which inc i think 20GB after three weeks or so of using approx 3GB week it suddenly jumped to 28GB in three days, i complained as it was going to cost me an extra £10 and i wasn`t happy as we hadnt used the computer any different in the last week, the operator tried to fob us off that we must have been using alot of catch up tv >>>>  we upped the package to inc 40GB and lost out on the free nightly calls and the 3 months discounted deal  to keep the bill about the same... three months later my average usage is down to 13 GB month.. now that says to me BT Are being very sneaky over something still havent had a reply as to what happened !!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 7 of 10

An update.

I have continued to monitor usage. In August and September usage ended well below the 40GB allowance. October, whilst had several sudden spurts ended at 41.29GB.

Now, here we are in November 6th and the readings are:

Your allowance usage from 01 Nov to 04 Nov = 13.24GB

My daughter was not in her house only for a couple of hours on Friday and Saturday the 1st & 2nd Nov so basically she has used 13.24GB of data on Sunday and on the evening of Monday.

Now using the most expensive use of data usage here she would have needed to have downloaded HD films for over 42 hours to use up this amount of data!

Have I got my sums right? Is something wrong with the Usage monitor? Because at this rate of usage come the end on November she will have used over 99GB!!

Stew

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 8 of 10

Any pointers on this, please?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 10

@StewM wrote:

Any pointers on this, please?

Hi.

As indicated on similar posts, start keeping a dailiy record of the online figures (up/down separately) and also the hub stats figures at the same time each day. Due to the way the online figures are in arrears, it's hard to match exactly the hub stats with the online figures - and also that the hub stats are prone to reset (either due to a bug after 5GB or so, or connection loss).

That way you can use a comparison (note the online stats date/time of recording).

I do know for a fact that there has been incorrect figures recorded by the online system. That may not be the actual connection, but the way the database gets its figures. I've never been informed of the reason for the issue.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 10 of 10

Thanks. I did phone and the nice CS lady went through the daily usage figures. However, her figures, calculated to the same date - 5 November, were different by 5GB to the online figures.

Given that there was a possibility of incurring additional charges of £40+ I decided to upgrade the Infinity package to unlimited. Circumventing the problem really but I am certainly not prepared to pay extra fees for going over the allowances.

The upshot is that my daughter can use as much data as she wants without incurring any extra fees and I don't need to keep checking so worth an extra £5pm

0 Ratings