cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
trowa_S
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Broadband and Landlines Issues which have been occurring over a year.

Hiya, I've been banging my head against a wall for the past year trying to get this issue solved. 

Essentially we moved into a new build about 2 years ago and we have probably had this issue for about 1 and half of those years. And we have made like 20 calls to BT over this. 

Normally the Connection is good, good speed ranging from 500kb to 1.5meg download speed and pretty good ping.

However sometimes we lose randomly connection and this can be 5 or 6 packets (enough to kill my RDP sessions or drop me out of an online game) while at other times like evening it can be 20-30 minutes +. This kills all wireless connections and it looks like all the ethernet connections aswell.   

I've had engineers come check the Phone Line months ago and they said they have had errors on the line previously but they have fixed it now... which has not been the case.

We are still hearing noise on the Phone when we use it (we don't use it that often) although sometimes it is fine. We have had dropped calls while on the phone including on one occasion to BT about the internet issue.

I'm on my third BT Home Hub 3 meant to resolve this. So thats been replaced along with all the filiters and everything localy. We do have 3 Ethernet ports in the house but we now only use the main one to plug the router into.

Most systems in the house are wireless and wired is only used on some ocassions. 

It seems more common issue in the evening (although has happened in the day) and it can happen not at all or mulitiple times in the evening. I can see no reason for it except load on the Exchanges line being a cause during the evening.

When I do a ping to the Google DNS server on 8.8.8.8 -t when it goes down I seem to lose the ability to talk to the router aswell which incidates its a Wireless Issue, but we have had some issues on the wired aswell.  Normally Rebooting the Router does fix it but not always. 

I've done some printscreens of the stats from the router which are on a google Doc- https://docs.google.com/document/d/1U_Fdt_o7SzH4W2vbZTIayhWsBY66jYUSkIdSZ48eS9c/edit?usp=sharing

I do bits of this at work and I am Stumpted, I can fix friends networking issues by just hearing about it but this i've wasted so much time to solve as it affects my ability to do my job aswell!.

Any help is appreciated!! 

Thanks!
Steven

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Broadband and Landlines Issues which have been occurring over a year.

until you get the line noise and dropped calls resolved your broadband will not improve.

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call
0 Ratings
trowa_S
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Hiya thanks for the information! I've been trying the line test the past few days. I've had it a couple of times where there is noise but when i've tested it during the loss of internet connection, it sounded okay. As I've heard some noise on the line in general should I ring them and hope that it is the issue?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

you need to be sure that you have a line noise problem otherwise if engineer comes and finds no problem then you will get a bill for £129.99 for callout

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
trowa_S
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Okay thanks for the information, I'm going to try and monitor more the LAN connection while I'm off for christmas, so I can 100% confirm its not wifi. Just trying to make sure I cover all my bases before to negate that risk

Thanks!
0 Ratings