Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Broadband below minimum speed

Hello,

I have recently taken out a standard broadband package with BT but am regluarly finding the speed to be below the minumum guaranteed of 512Kbps. Whilst I have only just reported this speed to them, I have previously compained about very slow speeds and have been told there is nothing BT can do. The speed tends to be around 0.25Mbps mid-morning and 2Mbps at other times. I'm doing this test over wifi with no other devices connected and on a computer that works fine.

I have good grounds to complain as the speed I'm getting is below the minimum guaranteed and as such BT are in breach of the contract.

From what I've gathered I live fairly a long way from the telephone exchange and as such am likely to not have a particularly good speed, but I'm wondering if anyone has had something similar and if so what they did to resolve it.

A new connection was installed for this package which was a bit of a farce in itself with Openreach making a number of visits and only on the third or forth call out declaring the line unsafe (the phone line was touching a power line). They got multiple staff out immediately and solve the issue that evening, establishing a connection for the first time.

I am within the cooling off period for a few more days but I don't want to go somewhere else just to go through the same problems.

Does anyone have any advise?

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Broadband below minimum speed

post the stats from your hub

there is no guaranteed download speed and certainly no guaranteed speed on wireless as it is subject to local interference

enter your phone number and post results  remember delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  it must be done with ethernet conenction as wireless is not acceptable  http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 14

Hi @Mickles,

How are things with your connections? Can you post the details @imjolly has request, as this will give us a good indication of how the connection is performing.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 14

Hi,

I've attached a screenshot. 

I submitted a complaint to BT. They responded 8 days later after I chased up the query twice, the second time threatening to escalate the issue to Ofcom. The response came the day after my cooling off period ended, meaning I am now unable to transfer to a company who would take my internet connection seriously.

Any advice you have on how to improve the speed or get BT to respond in a professional manner would be greatly appreciated. I would be interested in upgrading to a fibre connection but BT say they wont provide that.

Thanks in advance.  

Screenshot of line stats 1st September 2018.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

can you post your router stats please

from the dslchecker results you are a long way from the exchange and also considerable distance from your street cabinet hence the fibre down speed estimated range 21/13mb

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 14

Thanks for your quick reply. Please can you tell me what you are looking for. Are you asking for a speed test screenshot? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

I am looking for the stats from your router not btspeedtester results at present

are you using hub and if so which version?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 14

BT Homehub 4.0 - type B

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

to get the meaningful stats you need to  first check internet connection time then go to logs and WAN and using internet connection time trace back to find 2 lines together showing connection speed up/down and noise margin up/down  when you find them can you post

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 14

Hi imjolly,

I do appreciate you are trying to help but I have no idea how to do any of what you have said. Are you able to add more detail or point me in the direction of a tutorial please?

What will this test prove or disprove? 

Many thanks

0 Ratings