cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cheesed
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Broadband but no phone

Help! After a few weeks of dodgy phone service (incoming calls being cut off after 1 ring, not by the caller, a 'NO CALLER INFO' message showing when the info is in the phone etc), today the phone had a fit and then went dead. Even when both handsets were down, the system obviously thought calls were in progress or handsets were off. Now there's no phone service at all.

Will put more details up in next post. Worried this broadband will go down too.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: Broadband but no phone

Your broadband will still work without any dial tone on the phone, but at an extremely impacted speed.

Can you connect the phone to a filter and connect the filter to the test socket? This will eliminate any internal wiring issues. If your phone still has no dial tone while in test socket, call 151 and report a phone fault: do NOT mention broadband in the call.

Once the dial tone is restored, your broadband should improve in time. 🙂
0 Ratings
cheesed
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

• I've tried the online pages for checking your phone. The service status in my area says OK. None of the other screens works. I don't know why bullet point here.
  • And here.
  • eg Report a fault page says technical error on this page so can't report.
  • Broadband is wifi not infinity. Works OK.
  • Cannot phone bt via landline because line dead.
  • Cannot phone bt on mobile as money will run out, payg phone.
  • Cannot use bt pages to check line.
  • Cannot get to entry point of bt line into house as furniture in the way and bad back, happy days.
  • Refuse to chat to overseas bt staff as they were a waste of time, hours!, recently, only working from scripts.
  • Is any help available from forum bt people?
  • Bullet points show when I edit, can't be deleted but disappear when posted.
0 Ratings
cheesed
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 13

Is test socket the one at entry point to house?

Thanks for the advice.

0 Ratings
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 13

The test socket is behind the master socket. Only one test socket exists, you would have to undo the faceplate of all the sockets to find which one it is (each property has the master socket in different places).

The mods would only tell you to report the fault to 151 and even if they were involved, they would just do similar in any case.
0 Ratings
cheesed
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Thanks. I think there are 3 sockets, one I can't get to. If I take the plates off the other 2, how do I recognise a test socket?

0 Ratings
cheesed
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Is there no way to report a fault online, as I can't use any phone in the house including my mobile for that?

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

0 Ratings
cheesed
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Thanks. Can't tell if that will do check on my line for free or start a fault report.

... phone line has suddenly returned.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

@cheesed wrote:

Thanks. Can't tell if that will do check on my line for free or start a fault report.

... phone line has suddenly returned.

Make sure its your phone number that has returned.

Dial 1470 17070 and make sure the announcement matches your number, or ring your mobile from your home number and see what number is displayed.

0 Ratings