cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 11

Broadband capped at 1MB

We have an unlimited package, with estimated speeds of 4-7MB. Speed testers, including BT's own one, all say we should get a download speed of 7MB. We have currently been with BT for just under three months. We use a desktop connected by ethernet cable, a laptop using a wireless adaptor, and various phones.

Since day one, each device has a maximum speed of 1MB. We have been on to the helpdesk various times, with no joy. We've put two complaints in, and still nothing. There is very obviously a cap in place. To confirm this suspicion, I used my wireless laptop to connect to a neighbour's BT connection, and got speeds of about 5MB. Change back to our one, and it falls back to 1MB.

I have seen other posts in this forum with the same problem. Can someone please help, as the helpdesk seem unable to even see the problem, let alone fix it?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Broadband capped at 1MB

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).  Must be done wired

enter phone number and post results. Remember to delete number. https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 11

18:52:55, 23 Aug. DSL Link Up: Down Rate=10075Kbps, Up Rate=1235Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.1dB, Up=6.5dB

Speedtest result is download 8.52, upload 1.03 and ping of 44.00

Results Image not loaded 1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information. Download Speed 8.52 Mbps 0 Mbps 21 Mbps Max Achievable Speed Download speedachieved during the test was - 8.52 Mbps For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps. IP Profile for your line is - 8.89 Mbps 2. Upstream Test: -provides background information. Upload Speed 1.03 Mbps 0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps Max Achievable Speed Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.03Mbps Additional Information: Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time. It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly. If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number edited by mod Exchange SOUTHAMPTON is served by Cabinet 25

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

Other Offerings

Availability Date

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 7.5 -- 6.5 to 8.5 Available -- --
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 7.5 Up to 1 6.5 to 8.5 Available -- --
ADSL Max Up to 5.5 -- 4 to 8 Available -- --
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- --
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- --
ADSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- --

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line is on a Market B Exchange.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Jan-2013; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30-Jun-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact the Broadband supplier they want to take service from to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number, NAD, UPRN or Access Line ID (ALID) check.

Note:

Thank you for your interest.

We're connected to the master socket. It's the only socket. Can't try a quiet test as we have no landline phone.

The problem is not with our equipment, as I said. There is clearly a cap in place which limits our download speed to 1MB.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

You have a 10mb connection speed and btspeedtester shows 8.52 download speed

that is better than your estimate

you are confusing your mega bits and bytes. https://www.checkyourmath.com/convert/data_rates/per_second/megabits_megabytes_per_second.php

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 11

I am not confusing anything. The speed I get is capped at 1MB. I pay for a service that gurantees a minimum connected download speed of 4MB. We get one quarter of that.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

You have a download speed from btspeedtester of 8.5Mbps (megabits)  there are 8 bits to a byte so the download speed often reported by websites is MegaBytes so your speed of 1 MBps is equivalent to btspeedtester 8Mbps

your download speed is what you would expect from your connection speed. Check my link again

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 11

In addition to needint to listent to 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

There is nothing wrong with your connection you clearly have an 8.5Mbps download speed as the result of the speed test clearly shows you have no complaint that is valid
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 11

What indicates you have a download speed of 1MB ? The speedtest shows 8.52.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

For example, I'm using a local wired link to my switch, my PC is connected at 1Gbps my NAS is connected ay 100Mbps.

Copying from the PC to the NAS -

PC (Task Manager) reports 36.8Mbps up to the NAS

NAS (management screen) reports it is receiving at 4.5MB/s

Capture.JPG

Both are valid ways to represent the same thing, just like 250mm is the same as 25cm.

0 Ratings