Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
khalding
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Broadband connection dropping

Go to solution

We moved from Virgin to BT in November because of Virgin's speed problems.  On BT we have had problems with some computers and mobiles and not others.  I would like to find out how to connect succssfully using all our computers and mobiles.

My laptop suffers frequent disconnections from the BT home hub.  It will attempt to reconnect automatically and sometimes this is successful.  There seems to be no particularl pattern to this - it's entirely unpredictable (it's just gone offline as I'm typing this, hopefully it'll be online again by the time I send).  

My Notebook and my wife's laptop geenerally have a steady connection.

My mobile (Motorola Milestone [Android]) connects successfully.  My wife's mobile (HTC Wildfire [Android]) never connnects.

All these devices have connected successfuly to other wireless routers, so I think there is a problem either with the hopehub or with the BT broadband connection in general.

I would appreciate any troubleshoting advice.

(And we're back on line, just in time)

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Broadband connection dropping

Go to solution

try downloading inssider2 (istumbler if MAC) and then run it. This will show the broadcasting networks round about you and their channels including your own. Then enter your router and change your wireless channel to a free or less congested channel.

you can also try changing from b/g/n to just b/g if you have a HH2

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
khalding
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thank you for your advice.  I need to find a Linux stumbler equivalent.  I've tried Kismet but I can't get it t work.

I've set the wireless to b/g as you suggested.

It's odd that some computers are steady and others not, when they've all been steady with other wifi installations.

0 Ratings
khalding
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Thank you for the suggestion re b/g/n.  I've changed the HomeHub just to use b/g and the connection is much more stable.  That's made a world of difference.

0 Ratings
ludders
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

0 Ratings
Highlighted
trevorpunt
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Changing challes etc didnt' work for me.

However, I noticed that the communications setting options had my laptop wanting to connect to BT Openzone if in range.

Once unclicked - no problems!

0 Ratings
deedee120
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

I have had an incredibly frustrating few weeks transferring from NTL/Virgin to BT. The treatment off the BT customer service team is completely intolerant and incapable of dealing with senior citizens who need more time to understand what they are trying to explain. BT wanted to send out an engineer as they felt that they had exhausted all telephone support, however, this would cost me £95. The issue is that the wireless connection from my laptop continually drops its connection giving me a minute or two online and then nothing as the connection is lost. This has been ongoing for over 2 months.

Solution: The solution was that I had two Wireless Managers installed one that was installed with the Virgin Netgear router and the other one with Windows Vista software. The two were fighting for the same connection. When I realised this I uninstalled the Virgin Access Manager and everything sprung to life immediately. It was such a relief and this situation should not have occurred - why was it not explained to me from the beginning to uninstall previous software. The two other things I was told to troubleshoot were the filters which could have been faulty or ultimately the BT Hub itself. However, on this occasion it was a software conflict. I was able to get a steady connection using a network cable but this meant rearranging the configuration in the room as the cable could not reach the BT Hub from where the computer is situated. I am a 73 year old lady with limited resources. I was told to use the internet to find help several times when I could not stay online for more than a few minutes at a time.  

BT please make sure your customers are aware of this solution as it has been incredibly frustrating and made me feel to be inadequate. The amount of people who must be in my situation will be so frustrated and to have to pay to get the extra help is wrong.

0 Ratings