cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 51

Broadband connection drops on incoming phone calls

Shout out to the mods to help fix this problem - I think I know the fault but I'll talk you through what I have done...

I have the simplest wiring possible, 1 master socket with filtered face plate with 1 phone and 1 ADSL connection.

Noticed that the internet connection is dropping when phone calls are talking place, narrowed it down via testing to see that its only incoming phonecalls.

Tested the following

Filtered faceplate with incoming call = adsl drop

Filtered faceplate with outgoing call = NO adsl drop

Test socket with phone connected and incoming call = adsl drop

Test socket with phone disconnected and incoming call = adsl drop

Test socket with phone connected and outgoing call = NO adsl drop

I think there is a problem with a high resistance joint, can you guys organise for a lift and shift or a repair please 🙂

Shout if there is anything else you need testing - I have HH3 so limited logs

0 Ratings
50 REPLIES 50
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 51

Re: Broadband connection drops on incoming phone calls

you need to report the fault to BT Faults on 151 as it is a voice line problem
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 51

I rang 151, it goes straight through to Sky TV so rang the 0800

Typically, regardless of the crackling line and fault described, I had to revisit the scripted nonsense again and now I have to wait in between 9am and 1pm on Friday for an engineer to visit. The problem is I contract at £550 per day so this will cost me at least £250 to get an engineer round, at least the call was recorded and the BT agent agreed that if the problem is as a direct result of BT then I will cross charge my loss of earnings.

Would be a far simpler model to just point the engineer to the problem area at the exchange and work backwards, the total fix cost would be less overall to both BT and the customer... Its why I came on this forum as the moderators seem very well skilled in cutting through all the nonsense and just getting the value work done

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 51

are you a BT broadband and phone customer if you are not then no one here can help you as this forum is for BT Phone and broadband customer If you are a SKy customer you need to contact them to contact Openreach to resolve your problem the Mods here can only help BT customers
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 51

a noisy phone line is not a BT Retail problem the network is maintained and provided to all providers by Openreach ands any charges would be raised by Openreach and passed on to the relevant service provider as to cross charging i would think that will be very unlikely to happen
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 51

Understood but as a customer, I don't care for the choices and divisions that BT has created. My nominal value is getting problem fixed in a way that's helpful for the customer.

BT advised me that engineers do not work weekends, that's a difficult service proposition to those who spend all week working away and will experience financial loss as a direct result of something that is outside house.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 51

as when you called 151 it went to sky and not BT the voice line fault is there responsibility not BT's  

If you were a BT phone customer the mods  could  not do anything any faster  as  they  normally have a 3/5 day waiing time to reply  once they post their invite and  the  problem  is  not a BT issue as you are a sky customer and they cannot help  other providers customers 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 51

This page explains the function of Openreach, its their people that do the visits, not BT Retail.

http://www.expect.openreach.co.uk/

There is nothing else anyone on this fourum can do to help, you may like to try this forum

http://helpforum.sky.com/

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 51

How come? I have nothing to do with Sky at all, my phone and broadband service is all with BT?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 51

very simple I rang 151, it goes straight through to Sky TV so rang the 0800 that would only happen if you were a SKY customer

0 Ratings