cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 41 of 51

Re: Broadband connection drops on incoming phone calls

I meant BT as a whole - Conner hs been excellent but the problem has not been fixed. Looking back at my records this was actually the 6th engineer and my 6th day off work to be at the premises. The engineers know this is a bigger problem as they have spoken directly to neighbours but they can only do the silo piece of work that arrives on their iPhone.

I just want this problem fixed, after 8 months I dont think its reasonable to use my internet connection to do things like voip, gaming, VPN into work or other things that require a persistent connection?

Today was a total joke, Conner requested some manual settings which from Friday, had worked all weekend with no dropouts or packet loss. Engineer spoke with BT openworld who insisted on changing the settings, the engineer asked 4 times for them not to do it. Now, ADSL has dropped several times and I'm getting packet loss.

The HH4 - suffers from even worse packet loss and disconnects which I evidenced with a borrowed HH3 so engineer tested another HH4, same fault condition so he has given me my own HH3. Part of the reason I recontracted was because I was told I would get this wonderful new router but no, now I have to downgrade.

I cannot VPN, I cannot VOIP (which has been evidenced by the problem we have with Three Home Signal not working), online gaming is pointless and anything that requires persistant connections does not work due to packet loss. 

Want to watch a film, dont bother it will drop. Want to upload some photos, dont bother as they drop part way. Want to game, dont bother, the latency and packet loss means it pointless. Want to connect to your work VPN, dont bother, it wont work. I am a consultant at a FTSE100, I had their support teams come to my house, they tested the internet connection and said its the problem.

This is BT's problem, I dont care for how BT has organised itself or the silo'd verticals its created. Its a simple proposition when customer has a problem (or in this instance, customer's') that the provider can fix it in an acceptable timescale to both the provider and the customer. As of right now, I have financially lost a four figure sum by just having time of work for engineer after engineer to come and play with SNR settings, its just not right.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 42 of 51

Just an update to say that nothing has been sorted. Here are the key stats:

7 ADSL line drops in the last 12 hours

Latency of around 120ms

32% packet loss

7 engineers have visted, each leaving me in a worse position

Upstream SNR capped at 17db

I've lost a 4 figure sum in loss of earnings as a result

BT Openreach have put interleaving on full, and capped the upstream as high as possible as a sticky plaster to get ovet the real root cause. 

My mobile phone provider, Three have confirmed this morning that the ongoing fault I've had with them with a Home Signal box  is down to the latency and packet loss of my internet connection so I have no mobile phone coverage.

I recontracted with BT for ADSL2+ after being told that I would get extra upstream bandwidth (important for my photographic work) and now I get worse service because BT Openreach cannot fix the root cause fault. Thats entrapment BT, you are regulated against activities like that.

My son cannot game online as his games either time out or lag so much its unplayable - Happy Xmas son, sorry you cannot do the one thing you want to do this holiday.

I cannot VPN into work which affects my income - I return to work on Jan 5th and it must be working or BT will be causing me more financial loss which will simply tip me over the edge. VOIP is also pointless, it does not work.

To rub salt into the wounds, BT have once again activated BTFON on my home hub, this was disabled due due to the service problems. I'm lost for words at how bad BT is, this entire situation is just not acceptable.

OFCOM legislation says that BT Openreach must "make clear the timeframe in which it is currently completing any remaining repairs or installations, to provide reassurance to consumers about how long the work is likely to take;"

I want to know when this will be sorted! I'm sick of paying for a something that does not even give me rudamentry service.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 43 of 51

I've dropped back to HH3 and the packet loss is not as bad as the HH4, its actually ok around 98% so I'll stick with that. Conor gave me a call and has made progress with some settings that will update in around 24 hours.

The real shame is, the last settings that Conor got openreach to set worked fine for the entire weekend, it was only when the engineer came around on the following Monday that openreach then dialled in their own set despite the engineer saying 4 times to them not to change the settings as customer says they are working fine.

Just to add also, Conor has been great throughout this so none of my frustration is pointed to him. I know he wants to get a good customer outcome. Its people like this that can make the difference so thanks for sticking with this problem.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 44 of 51

I've got a similar issue with internet connection dropping on incoming calls. Just had £129 charged to my account for engineer visit. He changed master socket as matter of routine and advised that all is fine according to his equipment, however, the new master socket made no difference to the issue with incoming calls ( I've tried disconnecting all but router and one hard wired phone, and all plugged direct to master socket, to no avail). I don't fancy another £129 charge, but so long as an engineer reports nothing wrong how do I make progress?

Wiring to my house is via overhead cable to telegraph pole and then underground to exchange about 0.7 miles away. Some of cabling to exchange will be more than 50 years old (properties in this area were built in the 1930's)

I am on ADSL2 service. Stable 13.3Mbps download/850kbps upload. SNR download 4.5dB.

Another effect of broadband signal dropping is that my Vodafone SureSignal is also knocked out, killing mobile coverage for 5 minutes.

How can this be further investigated without additional charges for Engineer visits?

Dave
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 45 of 51

You need to contact 151 and complain that the fault you previously reported despite an engineer visit is still there

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 46 of 51

Hi Dave,

For the charging etc then I would contact BT again and explain, difficult to comment but if the engineer has left site with the problem not resolved then BT charges you, its just silly so they need to fix that. It seems that the way BT has silo'd its engineers do not make sense from a customers perspective - its a very simple nominal value of a customer "please fix my fault and prevent it from happening again" yet the silo design is terrible. The amount of times I've heard "I cannot look at that because its not my job" or "that needs to be another engineer" or "I dont have access to that". Engineers cannot even see previous engineers job notes. Then theres the way engineers are measured, you get rewarded if you do more jobs per day and performance managed if you are at the bottom - no surprise what behaviour that creates. 

All of this is because a customer has a problem, the support system is designed against internal kpi's and not what matters to customer. Good job that people like the mods here actually get it from the customers perspective and bridge the gap.

One thing I have learnt is dont ever trust what the engineer is saying, they are good people and hard working but the way they get rewarded and performance measured will make them do some bad things for customers.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 47 of 51

Contacted 151. Line test carried out, and, of course, no fault detected and am requested to contact my broadband provider. I've done this before, but what the h*ll, I'll do it again.

Dave
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 48 of 51

ISP has had Cable & Wireless run tests at local exchange. Apparently all ok and am advised to get BT engineer to premises (again !!). I am not prepared to run the risk of further charges nor take further time off work. Totally perplexed by lack of a clear route forwards. This is nearly enough to drive me to Sky or Virgin...
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 49 of 51

if problem persists where connection drops on calls then only an openreach engineer will be able to fix it.  this problem would be the same with sky and probably same openreach engineer - openreach work for all ISPs apart from virgin

if in virgin area then move should solve the problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 50 of 51

Openreach engineer been here in Nov and advised nothing at fault..I was charged for that visit. I'm not prepared to run the risk of another £129 charge if Openreach engineer is unable to detect the presence/location of the high resistance.

151 have now tested twice and Openreach once; all tests suggesting nothing at fault on BT's network. I've plugged my gear direct to master socket to discount internal wiring, bought new router and filters to no effect.

Not at all happy with lack of support (unless willing to run risk of further charges). If first engineer's equipment has not detected any faults then what chance of progress on another engineer's visit?

Dave
0 Ratings