Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deeliteful
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 3

Broadband connection keeps dropping - HHub 2.0

Hi guys,

Just wanted to see if anyone could help.

My connection drops whenever I plug my phone into socket (I don't use phone at all, line is just for broadband) I had to make a call that would've cost too much via a mobile and since Monday I keep losing my wireless connection.

Contacted BT who did checks, etc., on line and I was told they had found "too many drops" (?)

I was then asked to unscrew socket front and plug Hub into test socket and leave it like that for 24 hours. Is this normal procedure? And is it safe to do this overnight?

I've also just received an email from BT saying that if they find the fault is with wiring, hub, etc., then they will charge me £129.99 to repair (!!!) This is wrong, right?

I have an old Hub 2.0 and have not had a contract with BT for years (just kept paying Broadband every month) However when line rental/broadband price went up I was horrified at the cost and was given a better price and a new 12 month contract. THEN this problem with the connection dropping starts (!)

I have asked about a new Hub as I was under the impression that BT automatically gave new Hubs to long standing customers (?) Received no reply (!) But now I am VERY concerned that if the problem IS my Hub then I am going to be charged for a new one??

Beginning to wish I had not re-contracted, especially if this is how existing customers are treated.

Also, last thing, I have 14 days to get out of contract - started on 21st October - can I do this even though they are monitoring my line / fault?

Sorry for the lengthy jumbled post - I'm very confused right now. >.<

Thank you in advance!

EDIT: hub has been plugged into test socket for about 45 minutes now and has not lost connection once. So does this mean my wiring/hub is fine?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Broadband connection keeps dropping - HHub 2.0

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Hubs are no longer issued when you renew your contract but had you made it a condition of renewing your contract then you would have received a new hub judst paying the £7 postage

as an existing customer renewing contract I'm sorry but you do not get 14 days to change your mind.

If the problem is with your internal wiring or something in your home then you will be charged £129.99 for engineer visit but if problem is outside your home then there should be no charge

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

there are known problems with HH2 - but post stats first

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 3

Re: Broadband connection keeps dropping - HHub 2.0

This may be of help in getting a replacement for the hh2. http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/hardware/hh2/hh2_issues.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings