cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Broadband connection keeps dropping, often without reason, always when someone rings the house phone

Equipment:  I have an ancient hub (curious-  do we get updates to these or do we just have to make do for years on end?), the first black one which is curved and it has been fine since I got it from a friend some years ago to replace the dinosaur white one BT supplied me with the day I got Broadband.

It is plugged directly into the master socket via a filter which has the only other other piece of equipment on it- a phone.

The Problem:  Since about the time I had the BT Talk function turned off (December 2013) the Broadband connection (not the Wifi) has been dropping daily.  After that date I noticed that it would drop just whenever I got a call on the landline phone.  I didn't address it then because I get perhaps five or six calls a week on my landline and so it was not noticable or an issue.

But tonight it even dropped after just a few seconds in a Google Hangout;  something I was able to do last week without problem.  I am assuming it is because of the talking, as it must be similar to Skype etc?  In total it has dropped randomly about 7 times and 6 or so times during the Google Hangout which I had to abort.

Summary of problem:  Basically it is as though the removal of the BT Talk triggered the Broadband connection problem which is increasing in frequency and severity.

Actions taken:  I have power-cycled, checked that I don't have a buzz on the phone-line, unplugged, checked and replugged the two cables (power and phone cable to hub).  They are not damaged/loose/wet/different from normal.  I have also used the trouble-shooter online at BT.

Aside:  What I can say is that over the years I have had horrendous problems with total loss of Broadband/telephone and even worse service with BT constantly blaming my "equipment" for the problems and every single time it turned out to be their equipment or even their engineers at fault (one simply unplugged us at the junction and gave our line to someone else and, though, I reported it within minutes of it happening and why, it took days for them to undo) so that I am not entirely surprised that something is amiss.

Question:  I am hoping someone here has an answer so that I don't HAVE to phone yet again (I have spent in excess of 60 hours on the phone with BT over the lifetime of this service with 37.5 spent to resolve one incident) or, worse, get billed £480 for nothing.  DOES anyone know what I can do to sort this?  Does anyone know what is wrong?  

Please and thank you.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Broadband connection keeps dropping, often without reason, always when someone rings the house p

It sounds like a possible high resistance joint have you tried connecting to the test socket and see if that resolves the problem it will also remove the risk of any charges when an engineer attends as they will have to to resolve the problem

I am not sure where you have got the figure of £480 from as you will only be charged it the fault is found on your internal wiring or equipment
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Re: Broadband connection keeps dropping, often without reason, always when someone rings the house p

Thank you for your reply john46.  Smiley Happy

It sounds like a possible high resistance joint have you tried connecting to the test socket and see if that resolves the problem it will also remove the risk of any charges when an engineer attends as they will have to to resolve the problem 

Yes.

The only thing I haven't done is tried another filter.  Will try that tomorrow.  However- it does seem awfully coincidental and nothing has changed here with the hub sitting less than four inches from the master socket as it has always done.

Then again it could just be that the hub is not up to par and the removal of BT Talk might just have been its death knell (mind you- I didn't even have a BT Talk phone any longer- that would have been with the first hub at the princely sum of £70 which never worked due to our line just being too "poor" or something very technical like that).

I am not sure where you have got the figure of £480 from as you will only be charged it the fault is found on your internal wiring or equipment

I didn't "get" the figure of £480 from anywhere.  BT did.  They charged me £240 for something which was their fault because the lass, allegedly in Bangalore (I grew up on Pondicherry, not too many miles away), misunderstood syntax and presumed to bill me for something the engineer already determined was not my responsibility.  And when I telephoned to tell BT that I had been billed in error her colleague billed me again instead of refunding me:  £240 + £240 = £480

It took an inordinate amount of patience on my part to explain this to a third BT customer service person as they (naturally) refused to believe me when I reported their colleagues' errors.

Had it not been for the 36.5 hours previously spent troubleshooting another problem for BT staff (38 of them- I have all their names and various flights of fancy written down somewhere) I'd have thought I was imagining things.

And so, when the engineer unplugged my line and blithely connected it to a new house in a junction box three miles down the road (as the better half was driving by no less) and we were able to give BT the time and location of where the "problem" authored from, which still only led to an engineer having to be sent to "investigate" the fault at our end some three days late-  I was no longer capable of surprise.

It is why I thought to ask if anyone had any experience with connections dropping out here first. Smiley Wink  Might save me my last marble.

Well- it was worth a try.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

trying a new filter may help as they don't last forever.  have you tried using the test socket instead of the master?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

This has taken on a sick life of its own and here is the update sixteen months after the fact:  https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-com-Community-feedback/Feedback-on-BT-Customer-Service/m-p/1496975

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

I read your post earlier. Sad reading

I would suggest you take mod help as they wil, give you one point of contact and someone who will take personal responsibility to help get you a solution. More good help you can get the bettor

Still your choice

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Thanks Oh Wise One (imjolly),

You are right of course-  the more folk who want to have a go at getting a resolution, the better.

For all concerned.

After all BT operative #39 is now so worn out from this that he has told me that he won't respond any more and BT operative #16 disappeared after months of trying to help me and failing.  And offering me a £50 good will gesture which I turned down.  So-  how much worse can it get?  Smiley Wink

I just need to work out what the solution I am looking for now is...  I cannot wind back the clock, I cannot unhear or unread the insults and excuses I have received and I cannot take back my Grumpy Lady whingeing either.  So-  what DO I want, other than to vent my spleen?

Will give it thought over the weekend.

Thank you for your wise words.