cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 15

Broadband connection keeps dropping

Hi there,

Since mid december I have been having problems with my broadband connection and now it is becoming very annoying not being able to use my broadband even though I am paying for it every month Woman Frustrated

The connection drops off for short periods causing all my devices to either freeze or drop the connection.

I have done the quiet line test and it sounds fine.  I have done numerous factory resets, the first time I did it everything sprung back to life only for the problems to return a day later and now no resets help.

My settings on the hub are as follows:-

Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 00:20:48
Downstream:8.367 Mbps
Upstream:1024 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):6.0 dB / 5.9 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):41.5 dB / 24.3 dB
Output power (Down/Up):20.3 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):2 / 31
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):1 / 6
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):1449 / 20

I'm hoping to get to the bottom of this soon...

Many thanks for any help in advance,

Sarah

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Broadband connection keeps dropping

Hi

Pleasepost the full results from http://speedtester.bt.com/
Have you tried connecting to the test socket at the rear of the master socket Test Socket.jpg

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal
also you could try the hints given by poster RogerB in this link they may help http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

Then someone here may be able to help and offer more advice.

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 15

Here as the results from the speedtester

Test1 comprises of two tests
1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 4134 Kbps

0 Kbps7150 Kbps Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 4134 Kbps For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2000-7150 Kbps. Additional Information: Your DSL Connection Rate :8567 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1023 Kbps(UP-STREAM) IP Profile for your line is - 7558 Kbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 731 Kbps

0 Kbps1023 Kbps Max Achievable Speed

>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 731 Kbps Additional Information: Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 1023 Kbps

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

your router stats look ok. btspeedtester is ok but download speed is a bit lower than normal for this time of day

are you connected to master or test socket?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 15

That was connected to the master socket...

Its typical that it appears to be behaving itself today
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

do you have the socket shown in john46 post and if so do you have other sockets apart from the master?  again if so have you tried connecting to the test socket?  and removing the orange bellwire on terminal 3 on all sockets as can cause noise problems  http://www.filesaveas.com/jarviser/index.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

Are all of the devices connected via wireless?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 15

Everything is connected via wifi.

Occasionally it locks out certain devices, for example my multimedia player and an android tablet
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

Interference on the wireless channel can cause the home hub to lock up, as it has to store everything for re-transmission.

Although the hubs have "smart wireless", this only works if the interference is another "visible" wireless user on the same channel. Other "hidden" networks, and things like video senders, will not be detected.

It can also cause it to hop around, as signals come and go, resulting in disconnections.

As a first step, could you please set the wireless channel to manual, and select wireless channel 11. This is generally the highest channel that most devices will work on, and is less likely to get interference from adjacent wireless channels.

If none of your devices support the wireless "n" standard, then you will get better performance by setting the wireless mode to b/g only instead of b/g/n.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 15

The wireless connection is now intermittent now that it has been changed to channel 11.

My Iphone cannot stay connected.
0 Ratings