cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 14

Re: Broadband connection problem

stats look good with good speed.  noise margin still a bit high but if you stay connected to test socket that may drop slightly further with another increase in speed.  Moving to an extension could set you back a bit from what you have achieved

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
colster
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 14

What does the noise margin tell me about my connection?

Before plugging into an extension, I was going to replace the cover on the master socket and plug it into that. If everything looked ok with that after a week, I was going to move it back to the extension.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 13 of 14

In reality if the downstream SNR margin is not seeing target 6db ....

You're losing throughput ... because of levels of impulse noise.

Some lines have a little, some a lot.

If you can cure it ... you score, if not, you get what you get.   😉

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 14

The noise margin calculation is not very straightforward.

In very simple terms.

The broadband signal is carried as a number of different "tones". Some of these tones will be unusable because of noise, or a poor line.

The more good tones that are available, the higher the noise margin, so the exchange will try to increase the speed, which uses more good tones, and puts more information on them.

Eventually the noise margin will drop as, usually to about 6db, at which point the speed will be optimum.

If you are getting a high noise margin, low speed, and not too many errors, then the speed will increase over a number of days (weeks).

0 Ratings