cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 10

Broadband disconnects when the phone rings

Hi

I have a problem with which I hope one of the Mods may be able to help.

I have had an ongoing issue for the last 10months with broadband disconnecting when the phone rings.

This a long (6km) rural line and has been the subject of numerous engineer visits ( 12 )

The line will sync at near enough 1800kbps which given the length of the line is fairly respectable, however incoming calls cause loss of sync and CRC and HEC errors which result in the BRAS profile dropping and eventually the  speed drops to unusable levels.

To cut a long story short the problem has been identified as a high resistance fault in a buried cable - the cable is over 400m long and although short sections have been swapped, the problem continues. The cable is aluminium and buried (not very deep ) in a soft verge. It is frequently crossed by tractors and heavy vehicles having to take to the verge which over time is only making the problem worse.

Today, without warning, BT took it upon themselves to carry out a cease and reprovide - If my understanding of a cease and reprovide is correct this is not going to make any difference whatsoever and to make matters worse I'm told this could take up to 7 days to complete. Bearing in mind that we have already been through 3 TPM's each of which left us without broadband for three days I cannot see the logic of what has been done

Can anybody suggest who I contact in BT to progress this

Thanks

John

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Broadband disconnects when the phone rings

this would be a decision made by openreach presumably to try and improve your connection.  does your phone work ok?  broadband cuts out everytime you receive a call?  when you make a call as well?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 10

The Router loses sync every time there is an incoming call. The phone works fine for outgoing and incoming calls.  As I understand it a cease and reprovide won't change the Cabling on the D side of the street cabinet which is why I cannot understand why they persist with TPM's and now a cease and reprovide

John

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 10

Its probably that cable that needs replacing with copper. Problem is though Openreach don't like changing whole spans of cable for broadband, because as of yet, there is no law requiring them to provide a broadband service to anyone's house.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 10

Yes - undoubtedly the cable needs replacing but I cannot fathom why a cease and reprovide is being undertaken. I could now potentially be offline for over 7 days. This was done without any notice and makes no sense which is why I would like one of the moderators to get in touch

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 10

I wonder what they're trying to achieve by doing a cease and reprovide. Perhaps they're thinking the card is faulty, and by doing a cease and reprovide you get a new card.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 10

The line card can't be faulty. Several engineers have proved its a cable problem by connecting to the cable at a point upstream of the faulty cable and the fault can't be reproduced . As soon as they connect to the cable downstream of the faulty cable the fault appears

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 8 of 10

I know, but sometimes, someone sitting in the call centre won't be bothered to read ALL of the notes on a job. Your best hope is to see if you can get one of the engineers that comes out to re prove it, and submit an A55 for a new bit of cable.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 10

It's been done several times - each time we come back to the same fault. Then after several months the fault gets mysteriously closed and the response is "The work has been completed"

The stretch of cable to be replaced is clearly visible from my house and I know for a fact that the cable has NOT been replaced. The call is getting closed because someone doesn't want a call open for months without a resolution.

When I reopen the call we go through the same process over and over and over again. I just want to speak to someone in BT who will own this problem and see it through to the end.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Unfortunately it is not a BT problem it is down to Openreach and as has already been poster Openreach are reluctant to replace cables unless they affect voice calls they are not required to provide broadband on any line
0 Ratings