Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andrewvj
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Broadband discrepancy between postcode and phone

Hello,

My partner and I are currently in the process of purchasing a house -- being remote workers, the internet speed is paramount.

We checked the postcode for the property we're looking at (TR16 6JX) and everything looks fantastic. However, we then went a bit further and tried to find some phone numbers in this postcode.

We found the following 

• Filtrick Farm Cottages, 01209 *****
  • Foxgloves, 01209 ******

For the first, checking based on the address and postcode, says that we can get

1. 27.4Mbps download (Min. 16.5Mbps and Max. 35.2Mbps), 5.5Mbps upload
  2. 40Mbps download (Min. 27.4Mbps and Max. 54.6Mbps), 8.5Mbps upload

However, if we then check the phone numbers, we get:

1. 15.7Mbps download (Min. 6.9Mbps and Max. 21.8Mbps), 0.8Mbps upload
  2. 13.1Mbps download (Min. 5.1Mbps and Max. 20Mbps), 0.8Mbps upload

If I check the actual Openreach service checker for both of the *addresses* https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html, it reports:

1. Clean, high: 35.2; impacted, low: 27.4
  2. Clean, high: 54.6; impacted, low: 16.5

And if I try the phone numbers it states it can't find them!!!

Can anyone help me understand this? We don't yet have the phone number of the property we're looking to buy, so we can't check that. Is there anyway for us to be able to estimate what we might get? If we can only get 0.8 up, it means living there won't be possible!

Is there any chance that, if we got Openreach to install a second line, that we might be able to get "better" internet than what is presented currently?

Also, the Openreach "checker" states that both of the addresses in that postcode can get FTTP -- are sales of this still suspended? Or would that be a possibility?

Thanks!

Andrew

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Broadband discrepancy between postcode and phone

Please remove the phone numbers For security as this is a public forum and may generate large amounts of spam calls. The checker say that using the phone number is most accurate way to find estimated speed. Using address or post code is less accurate and they may be served by more than one cabinet

if you mean FTTPoD then yes that is currently not available for residential lines - and very expensive

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
andrewvj
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

Hello imjolly,

Those numbers are *100% public* and can be found online already, hence why I provided a post to the 192.com page where I found them from -- they are also business and not residential numbers. Furthermore, providing them is paramount to the completeness of my quesiton.

Do you have anything constructive to add? For example, do you have any idea what would cause the huge descrapancy between the postcode estimates (across a whole range of postcodes in one area) and the associated phone numbers?

Thanks,

Andrew

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

andrewvj wrote: For example, do you have any idea what would cause the huge descrapancy between the postcode estimates (across a whole range of postcodes in one area) and the associated phone numbers?

Thanks,

Andrew

Yes, postcodes can cover a very large area. VDSL (Infinity) speeds drop off very severely with distance, we're talking 100s of metres not Km.

The checker can only report on BT numbers not other providers.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

The forum guidelines does not allow phone numbers in posts and if you don't delete them then mods will

as I said the checker does say that most accurate is the phone number. Address and post code could cover more than 1 cabinet and the results may not be from the same cabinet as the phone numbers. Fibre speed degrades far quicker than adsl over distance as can be seen here

FTTC speed graph.gif

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
andrewvj
Beginner
Message 6 of 13

Hello licquorice,

This is not "just" checking the postcode, this is checking the full address at the premises (including the postcode) vs. the redacted numbers at these addresses. Also, both of these properties are in the same postcode, but the BT checker provides different estimates (as you would expect).

If a number is provided by BT, how do other providers (e.g., Zen) provide estimates for these numbers?

Cheers,

Andrew

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

Post codes can be served by more than one cabinet. So say one end of a street is conencted to cab x 200m away but other end is conencted to cab y in the other direction and it can be 1km away hence same post code but totally different results. Even if connected to same cabinet there could be hundreds of meters between the distance from the cabinet. The graph I posted shows how quick vdsl speed drops over distance 

0 Ratings
andrewvj
Beginner
Message 8 of 13

Sure, but I'm *not* just checking the postcode, I am checking the full address -- both addresses give different estimates, but neither as "poor" as the telephone estimates.

I do understand the point that *just* using the postcode is inaccurate as there could be multiple cabinets, but that is not the issue we're looking at here. Unless, of course, the Openreach address checker can return the wrong cabinet?

If a phone number is not found on the Openreach checker, how do a provider such as BT or Zen provide an estimate?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

The only realistic option is to ask the present owners of the prospective purchase what speeds they get.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

People living next door to each other can be conencted to totally different cabinets (as can be seen from some of forum posting) where one can get fibre and one on different cabinet cannot as their cabinet is to far away or maybe not even fibre enabled

0 Ratings