cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
beee
Beginner
Message 1 of 42

Broadband downgraded/slow

Have 8mb unlimited broadband, usually sits between 5-7mb/s - last few days down to around 1.7mb/s - tested on bt speedtest and get this result:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.74 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-2 Mbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :8.13 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 2 Mbps

IP Profile for my line is not and has never been 2 Mbps with ANY provider i have had, i am near the exchange and speeds have always been in the upper tier... why should it suddenly become so? Is there any way this IP profile can be reset to what it should be?

Thx in advance

0 Ratings
41 REPLIES 41
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 42

Re: Broadband downgraded/slow

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). 

Your profile may be stuck or possibly the result from a previouly lower speed

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
beee
Beginner
Message 3 of 42

Hi thanks for fast response - i'm assuming you mean these lines:

12:27:11, 03 May.( 75.210000) DSL noise margin: 25.00 dB upstream, 12.60 dB downstream
12:27:11, 03 May.( 75.140000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 8128 Kbps downstream

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 42

Yes that is lines from hh4/5

your connection was reset at 12.27 today was that a manual reset?  If so you now need to maintain connection 24/7 for 3+days and if still at 2mb profile then repost stats showing stable and btspeedtester diagnostic results and mods will help sort profile

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
beee
Beginner
Message 5 of 42

Hi, yes it was a manual reset and i have reset router a few times but only since i noticed the connection degrading and ran speedtests, not before. A reset has always been my first port of call in situations like this (and usually works if it is not an issue outside of my control) but have never had the IP profile drop before. 3+ days seems liike a long time to wait, is this a case of BT simply hoping it fixes itself in the mean time? Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 42

Your profile should correct itself given 3/5days stable connection but on connection like yours where on max speed for adslmax the profile sometimes gets stuck and needs mod help but they will onlt manually reset once you show stable connection

resets are one of the worst things you can do especially a few in short soace of time as that will increase your noise margin and drop your connection speed resulting in a lower profile

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 42

the connection has to show 3 days + stable connection first because if there have been resets or disconnections of the hub this causes the exchange equipment sees the line as unstable and it will reduce the IP Profile to try and stabilise the connection the forum mods will only become involved to carry out a manual reset after 3 days + as this shows the stability.
resets on an unstable connection is pointless as the profile will drop again very quickly
0 Ratings
beee
Beginner
Message 8 of 42

Thanks for your response it is appreciated. The following rant is in no way aimed at yourself...

"resets are one of the worst things you can do especially a few in short soace of time as that will increase your noise margin and drop your connection speed resulting in a lower profile"

Hmm... like unplugging the router to try it in the master socket... kind of defeats the purpose of their first port of call then.

Noise margins shown are exactly the same as they have been since 2006 through terms with virgin/freedom2surf/talktalk/one other i can't remember and now BT. I have never noticed a change more than 1 or 2 db either way. I have always reset the router with favourable results when i have noticed speed degrading. The only times this hasn't worked for me is when there has in fact been a fault with my ISP. The only time there was a fault similar to this i was with Talk Talk - i phoned their customer support and they reset the line and the problem was fixed within the hour. 

A router being reset is 9/10 times due to power cycling not noise on phone lines or problems at the exchange. If i want to unplug my router to try it in different rooms (of which there are 22 in this house) for better wifi coverage, or to test in the master socket, or pull fuses to do some rewiring or simply to clear router IP leases i shouldn't be downgraded to a lower IP profile. Obviously if i have been then i really shouldn't have to wait 3 days suffering speeds too low for my needs for them to flip a switch at their end to return my connection to that which i pay for. 

In an ideal world i would let BT know there is a problem after i have checked it is not a problem with my setup. That is after all the first place they would point their finger if i didn't! They could then hobble my speeds if they thought it would help (? i know!). As it stands what could have simply been a moment of heavy traffic through the exchange which slowed things down for me at peak time (who's to know right? There is no way to check after all) leads to my connection being dropped to a quarter of its potential for 3 to 5 days because i power cycled the router. That sounds too much like a punishment for my liking!

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 42

Although all you may be trying to do is try your router in a different location there is no way to communicate that to the DLM as it just appears as a line drop.  If this is done often in a short space if time this appears to be a line problem to the DLM and the appropriate action to try and stabilise the line is to increase the noise margin and drop the speed until stability returns.  Obviously if this is manual resets then stability will return very quickly when the manual resets stop

however your profile will drop almost immediately your connection speed drops and even though the next reset brings connection speed back to normal your profile will now take 3/5 days to automatically recover to the correct level for your connection speed. This has now changed with adsl2 where profile is 88.2% of connection speed and changes as annd when your connection speed changes

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 42

a single reset or move to the test socket will have no effect and that is suggested to eliminate any internal wiring /internal interference problems
like wise if work was being on household wiring it is best to turn the hub off until the work is completed
the problem you have exists with all ISP's not just BT a stable connection is vital for good broadband service
as for 22 sockets that is way over the normal amount on a domestic connection
0 Ratings