cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
beee
Beginner
Message 11 of 42

Re: Broadband downgraded/slow

By 22 i meant rooms, not phone sockets Smiley Very Happy unfortunately the power cable from the router will not stretch that far without being unplugged!

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 42

ok still a large number for the normal home 🙂
beee
Beginner
Message 13 of 42

How to 'power cycle' a BT Home Hub, broadband router or USB modem

Power cycling, also known as a restart, is simply the controlled shutdown and switching back on of equipment. Power cycling your BT Home Hub can often solve broadband connection problems.

^^^Words of 'wisdom' from BT themselves

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 42

Just need to get a longer power cable then LOL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 42

There is not a problem with a power cycle of the router.  The problem can occur if you have a few power cycles in a short space of time - remembering there is no difference to the DLM between a drop in connection due to line noise and a manual reset to try and improve your wifi signal

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
beee
Beginner
Message 16 of 42

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated - guess there's nothing to do but play the waiting game now...

Smiley Mad

0 Ratings
beee
Beginner
Message 17 of 42

Oh and BT - if you are reading this - if you have in fact hobbled my line due to overly ambitious 'power cycling' on my end then do me a favour and flip that reset switch. You know the one - its the one you always have to flip whenever someone has a connection problem. 3-5 days is far too long to wait. Otherwise while your only giving me a quarter of my contracted speed how about i only pay you a quarter of my bill?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 42

@beee wrote:

Oh and BT - if you are reading this - if you have in fact hobbled my line due to overly ambitious 'power cycling' on my end then do me a favour and flip that reset switch. You know the one - its the one you always have to flip whenever someone has a connection problem. 3-5 days is far too long to wait. Otherwise while your only giving me a quarter of my contracted speed how about i only pay you a quarter of my bill?

Lol

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 42

a single reset will normally not cause a problem however multiple restarts/disconnections will cause problems and cause an IP profile drop
0 Ratings
beee
Beginner
Message 20 of 42

Yeah, hardball - that'll get 'em Smiley Wink

Or maybe it should be hardwall - a game for one utilising a wall, a head and multiple banging attempts, lol

0 Ratings