cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John_Daniels
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 39

Broadband download connection speed dropped by 98% in last two weeks but upload speed unaffected

Go to solution

First time post but the usual problem. A bit long-winded I'm afraid

I have had broadband since the day it was first made available on the Castleham exchange back in 2003. At each exchange upgrade the download speed increased accordingly. It was a steady 7.5-8 Mbps download and 448 kbps upload until the last upgrade to 21CN back in November 2011.

I have always used Netgear routers and currently have two identical DG834GT units each with the latest firmware. Both are 100% working order and perform identically, though of course only one is ever connected at any time and the other is a spare. I also have a BT Homehub 1.5, but more of that later.

Ever since then, and depsite the BT email stating it would only happen for the first few days while it settled down, I have had multiple connection drops, every single day, sometimes 3 or 4 per hour which is immensley annoying. These drops never, ever, result in a better connection speed and are hence utterly pointless.

The download connection speed from November started out at around 13 Mbps, which was close enough to the 17 Mbps estimate not to worry about, and the upload speed has always been around 1240 kbkps ever since - a huge and very welcome increase. After a while the download connection speed reduced gradually and levelled out at around 9900 kbps, still with very frequent connection drops, and remained at that level until 2 weeks ago.

On 22nd April I noticed that a download during off-peak hours was only running at 300 kb/sec, 30% of what I would expect at that time, so I checked my router stats which showed the download speed had plummeted to just over 3000 kbps, but the upload was still 1240 kbps. Hoping that was just a temporary problem, I reset the router and the download connection speed came back as just over 2000 kbps. Over the following days it dropped again to 1148 kbps, but the upload stayed the same.

This week it has dropped to 462kbps and today to just 232 kbps, yet still the upload speed is around 1240 kbps. I must be the only broadband customer to have an upload speed five times the download speed.

The current router stats are:

System Up Time 10:43:54

Port

Status

TxPkts

RxPkts

Collisions

Tx B/s

Rx B/s

Up Time

WAN

PPPoA

00:22:01

LAN

10M/100M

10:43:49

WLAN

11M/54M/108M

10:43:44

ADSL Link

Downstream

Upstream

Connection Speed

232 kbps

1232 kbps

Line Attenuation

16.0 db

10.4 db

Noise Margin

33.8 db

6.0 db

As you can see the download noise margin is very high (it increases every time the speed drops), yet the upload noise is very low indeed. You can also see the connection dropped 22 minutes ago, and it did it again about 5 minutes before that.

The line is totally silent and long phone calls have no problems whatsoever, so I don't think it is a line fault.

Now onto the reason I am posting this and not talking to the helpline.

I called the BT Broadband helpline twice on Wednesday evening. The first time I got through to an Indian gentleman who seemed to understand my issue and said he would put me on hold whilst he carried out a check, but while he was away the call was terminated, not by myself, so I rang again. This time I got through to an Indian lady who after listening to my problem managed only to tell me my router was incompatible (she didn't even ask for the model number or firmware version or any other details) before the call was abruptly terminated again. So I did not get the chance to explain to her that I had dug out the old BT Homehub 1.5 and plugged it directly into the test socket with no other wiring connected and that gave me a similar download but worse upload figure than my Netgear which I use in an extension socket.

There would appear to be a maximum call timer when calling support, at which point it abruptly cuts you off, so I am now furious and will not waste my time calling them again.

Please help me restore my download connection speed to a stable and reasonable value. I don't mind not getting the suggested 17Mbps - I was happy with the 10 I had for months, but please, please, please stop the line from dropping every few minutes. If ever I work from home I have to use Citrix and on every line drops it just quits everything you were doing with no opportunity to save your work first so any line drop makes it impossible to work.

John Daniels 

0 Ratings
38 REPLIES 38
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 39

Re: Broadband download connection speed dropped by 98% in last two weeks but upload speed unaffected

Go to solution

welcome to the community forum where customers help customers

are you now connected directly to the test socket?  hae you removed the bellwire on terminal 3 from all your sockets

bellwire removal

try the quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should hear nothing and best with corded phone   if cordless then dull hum is normal

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 39

Re: Broadband download connection speed dropped by 98% in last two weeks but upload speed unaffected

Go to solution

Hi Welcome to the forums

Here are some help pages done by CL Keith http://www.btinternet.com/~cbeddoe/speed/Speed.html

Can you also post the full results fromBT Speedtest speedtester.bt.com

Have you tried connecting to the test socket at the rear of the master socket  Test Socket.jpg

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings
John_Daniels
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 39

Go to solution

Thanks for the prompt response

I have performed a quiet line test and it is completely silent.

I am currently on the Netgear and using an extension socket. The master socket is equipped with an I-Plate which makes no difference to anything. I will try removing wire 3 as suggested but the results are no different to connecting directly into the test socket earlier with all internal wiring disconnected. I will give it another go both in the test socket and with the extension after wire 3 has been removed and post the results.

The latest speedtester results (posted after the connection was dropped yet again) are:

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information. Download Speed 0.16 Mbps 0 Mbps 0.25 Mbps Max Achievable Speed Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.16 Mbps For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.1 Mbps-0.25 Mbps. IP Profile for your line is - 0.2 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information. Upload Speed 1.16 Mbps 0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps Max Achievable Speed Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.16Mbps Additional Information: Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.

No performance problem - really????????????? That's barely better than an old dial-up connection.

Current router stats:

ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed232 kbps1236 kbps
Line Attenuation16.0 db10.5 db
Noise Margin33.9 db6.0 db
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 39

Go to solution

with a noise margin of 30+ there is a noise problem on your connection also all the disconnections will just make matters worse as the exchange will see the line 'flapping' and try and stabilise it by increasing the noise margin and dropping the connection speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 39

Go to solution
Hi Your noise margin is very high at 33.9db the normal default is 6dB this is caused by your router disconnecting once you can maintain a stable connection for 3+ days please post back with your full router stats then we can advise you further about getting your noise margin reset
0 Ratings
John_Daniels
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 39

Go to solution

As the line is totally silent all the time for voice calls and the connection is being dropped very frequently from BT's end and has only just come up again since my last post only a few minutes ago (it also does it with a homehub so it is not my router doing it), it rather implies to me that there is some faulty kit on the router/switch or whatever it is at the exchange end.

My neighbour also complains of constant connection drops ever since the 21CN upgrade and he is on the latest homehub, but his connection speed is still running at the max possible (not sure excatly what speed as he couldn't remember how to log into the router to get the stats but he has seen no sign of any performance decrease), which further suggests the exchange is to blame.

I note from other posts that it needs a stable connection for at least 3 days to get the noise margin reset - something that is never going to happen for me as I can only achieve a few minutes at a time and have had this for six months now.

Stop press: the line just dropped yet again when trying to post this reply - that's 3 times in the last 20 minutes or so.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 39

Go to solution

can you connect to the test socket and then post stats again.  I use the netgear and have no problems so unlikely it's your netgear

21CN is far more aggressive on line noise and what was a good connection on adslmax is not necessarily a good connection on 21CN - but can be with some work

0 Ratings
John_Daniels
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 39

Go to solution

I have now removed the wire from terminal 3 and these are the stats from the Netgear on the extension socket. No difference apart from the noise margin dropping marginally, but it does hover around these figures anyway and is slightly different every time.

ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed232 kbps1240 kbps
Line Attenuation15.5 db10.5 db
Noise Margin33.6 db5.8 db
0 Ratings
John_Daniels
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 39

Go to solution

I'll try from the test socket using the other Netgear router and a laptop connected via ethernet and will post the results back from this machine in a while.

0 Ratings