Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scurlageboy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Broadband download speed has suddenly dropped

Go to solution

Hi,  

I have had my BT broadband for quite some time without any problems, the "normal" download speeds using the www.speedtest.net tester vary between 3.5 Mb/s and 5.5 Mb/s depending on the time of day.

My download speed has suddenly dropped off to a consistent 0.47 Mb/s for the last few days for no obvious reason.  (I have made no hardwear or wiring changes).

Using the http://pbtcsc.bt.motive.com/speedtest/ I get the following result:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 445 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-500 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :5152 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 500 Kbps

The BT home hub settings are as follows :

ADSL line status
Connection information
Line state Connected
Connection time 0 days, 0:23:35
Downstream 5,152 Kbps
Upstream 448 Kbps
ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.1
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 13.1 dB / 18.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 43.0 dB / 21.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 19.8 dBm / 12.1 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local) 0
Loss of Signal (Local) 0
Loss of Power (Local) 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 421 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 6 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up) N/A / 0
Error Seconds (Local) 2

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Neil.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Broadband download speed has suddenly dropped

Go to solution
Hi your ip profile has dropped due to disconnections of your hub if you can maintain a stable connection with no restarts for the next 3/5 days your profile will rise automatically as will your download speed
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

welcome to the forum

from the information you have posted the problem is your profile is low at 500 causing a lower than normal download speed.  your connection time is only 23min is that due to the router dropping connection or you manually resetting trying to improve your speed?  normally the reason for a low profile is a few resets/dropped connections in a shirt space of time - have you been having problems with your connection dropping?

have you tried the quiet line test   dial 17070 option 2  should hear nothing and best with corded phone   if cordless then dull hum is normal

are you connected directly to the master or test socket?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
scurlageboy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Hi and thanks for the quick replies.

The limited hub connection time shown is due to me resetting everything.

I did experience a number of hub disconnects two days ago but none since and the hub is connected to the master socket.

I have tried the quiet line test using a corded phone and there seems to be the faintest amount of noise on the line (intermittent crackling).

I have conducted a line test from the website but the tester it tells me "it cannot detect a problem"

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

if your line is now stable then leave it connected 24/7 with no resets for 3/5 days and profile should rise automatically.  however I would try quiet line test a few time in next few days and if crackling is more audible then report a phone fault to 151 - not a broadband fault

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings