cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cogsly
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Broadband drop out when it rains every time

Ok so ive had constant issues with this issue since October and much worse since January.
Everytime it rains the internet drops out. I dont even have to look out the window anymore for a weather update.
Ive contacted BT several times who tell me theres no fault at all on the line even though my router just cycles through all the 3 colours (HH6). My line coming in must be 30 years old and is twisted pair. Bt installed the new split main box when we had broadband here. Only 1 phone connected and phone line crackles lightly when router goes off.
Now after yet another heated exchange im told an engineer will come out and check for 130quid. I say its an intermittant fault. They dont quite grasp this.
Now here comes the funny part.....
If i connect my old HH3 it connects ok. Still drops out once it rains but reconnects ok. If i plug my HH6 in after my HH3 connects then the HH6 connects ok again...right up until it rains.
If i simply leave the HH6 on after a disconnect it endlesly power cycles.
Why would the HH3 connect ok then HH6 be ok after this?
Why does mt broadband drop out when it rains.
Why would the line test be ok even though HH6 say its not fonnecting when the HH3 can.
Bt niw sending out another (the 3rd) HH6 out. This wont change anything.
Im on option 2....i pay a fair whack every month to use a fast connection. Can someone please shed some light on this?
Thx in advance.
0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Broadband drop out when it rains every time

the charge is an advisory providing the fault is at the test socket there is no charge for the visit the line noise is the cause of your disconnections and needs reporting as a noisy line on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call

there are many posts about the hub 6and its assorted problems just stick with the hub 3
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 15

Welcome to this customer to customer forum. @Cogsly

See http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12439/c/

That explains possible charges.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

If there is, report it as a phone fault not a broadband one.

Just do not mention about the broadband, otherwise it will end up in the wrong queue, and you will wait forever.

As the fault will be external, there would be no charge.

0 Ratings
Cogsly
Beginner
Message 4 of 15

But how come the broadband team and the call team say theres no issue from their end. The noise is only light and only there when it rains
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

@Cogsly wrote:
But how come the broadband team and the call team say theres no issue from their end. The noise is only light and only there when it rains

They will not see it as the line tester is not that accurate.

There is probably a corroded jont somewhere, so it just needs Openrech to check and remake ant external connections.

Is you phone line fed from a pole?

0 Ratings
Cogsly
Beginner
Message 6 of 15

Yes. Cable 30 years plus old. Dont fancy risking 130 quid charge so mass arguing trying desperatly to get something actusky resembling customer service.
Like i said if they come out and its dry what do i do?
Its beyond stupid
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

@Cogsly wrote:
Yes. Cable 30 years plus old. Dont fancy risking 130 quid charge so mass arguing trying desperatly to get something actusky resembling customer service.
Like i said if they come out and its dry what do i do?
Its beyond stupid

Read the link I gave you, there is no visit charge unless its your wiring, or your equipment.

There is no upfront charge for a visit, or if no fault is found. That is unlikely as there must be an exposed external joint which should be obvious.

0 Ratings
Cogsly
Beginner
Message 8 of 15

Ok bud thx
0 Ratings
Cogsly
Beginner
Message 9 of 15

Is there a better hub thats up to date has good wifi coverage and is just 1 box not 2 like HH3?
Happy to pay just want this nightmare over
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

As you have a hub 6 that latest one available you mention 2 boxes not sure what you mean
0 Ratings