cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Broadband dropping and phone calls interrupting connection

I am aware that these technical issues may have been covered in other posts, but as a new member I wanted to ensure my problem wasn’t lost.  Apologies if this is incorrect etiquette.

For the past few weeks, my Home Hub 2 has been dropping its connection.  As a result, the speed is now a quarter of what it was (I understand this is "training" and/or DLM).  I have carried out a few experiments and found that calling the phone number always now drops the broadband.  I have tried removing the two phones, to the extent that all I have connected is the Hub. Even then dialling the number from my mobile causes connection to be lost.  I have tried 3 or 4 different microfilters without success.

I have a very old style socket, with no removable faceplate or test socket behind, so I don’t know what else to try.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Many thanks

David

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Broadband dropping and phone calls interrupting connection

You need an Openreach engineer visit as it sound you have a High resistance joint which is causing your disconnections
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Many thanks for your prompt response.

I did try a live chat with BT support and they also suggested an eningeer visit, but at £99 basic.  Is that right?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

there is only a charge if the fault is found with your internal wiring or equipment after the master socket
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

You probably cannot answer this question, but would yoiu have an idea what is more likely with such a problem?

Does the fact that my wiring is obviously very old make a difference?

If I decided to go with Infinity would all the wiring be upgraded inclusive of that installtion so that I avoid repair costs if applicable?

Many thanks 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Hi the only change that is made if you move to infinity is the face plate of the master socket
the fault is most likely a faulty joint somewhere between your home and the exchange
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

OK.  I will probably arrange an engineer's visit and hope they don't keep missing the appointments as they did the last time I called them out.

Many thanks for your help

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Pleased to help any time post back with how you get on as it can help others
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Just to update you.  I carried out some more tests.

I had an old BT Hub 1.0 and connected that and got the same problems, ruling out a fault with the existing Hub.

I then moved a wireless keyboard and mouse extender away from the hub and for a moment thought that was working.  But it didn't last long!

I then connected by ethernet and again had false success.  Calling my number doesn't seem to cut the connection that often, but I have had a couple of random drops whilst composing this post.

Does this help or cloud the issue?  Is it more likely to be a wireless issue?  Should I stick with ethernet for the time being?

I will hold off calling the engineer until I see how it performs.

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Unfortunately, after a few days, I've still suffered disconnects both when the phone rings and randomly.  Just now it cut out suddenly with the result that my profile's speed has been halved again.

I got no noise on the quiet line test the other day, but there does seem to a be little there now. I guess I need an engineer visit, but would appreciate confirmation.  My stats are as follows:

ADSL line status

Connection information
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 0:08:39
Downstream1,871 Kbps
Upstream779 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.3
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)26.6 dB / 7.5 dB