It's the second one (the bottom one) which I think is the latest they have

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
MPR
Contributor
Message 12 of 43

Re: Broadband dropping out, noise high, speed slow

Go to solution

Well it sounds like that might be what's happening.  I don't recall my noise ever being as low as 6 but I reckon I've definitely got exactly that situation you've described - where connection has dropped, noise reading comes back higher, and broadband is slower.  The problem is (having had engineers out etc) pinning down the problem.  I think the options might be either (i) get engineeer out (again -3rd time) to look at wiring or (ii) ask for new hub on the basis that might be causing the problem.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 43

Go to solution

getting an engineer and then he may well give you a new hub if he thinks or you suggest that could be the problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
MPR
Contributor
Message 14 of 43

Go to solution

Yes I think you're right.  I remember now, the engineers can fit you up with a new hub.  Thanks for your wise counsel.

I think what I will do is monitor it for a few days, see if my profile fixes itself, and then gird my loins (i.e. set a considerable amount of time aside) for the call centre.  Past experience means I've already got the inevitable script committed to memory:

A) "I need a broadband engineer, because they're the only ones there who seem to talk any sense or actually be able to fix anything"

B) "We just have to test your line Sir to see if there's a fault Sir, we promise we will ring you back"

C) "I know but you've tested my line before, at least 3x, and there is no fault - can you just send out the engineer"

D) "I can't order an engineer until I've tested your line"

E) "But you've tested my line before, and there is no fault.  Can you just send out an engineeer"

F) "But I can't order an engineer until I've tested your line."

[Repeat steps E & F, a very modern form of torture, until you lose the will to live]

G) "OK test the line then"

H) "OK, I'll test the line and ring you back.  Don't use the phone"

I) "I know, you've tested the line before (3x).  I won't use the phone"

[Ten minutes later]

J) "There is no fault on your line"

K) "I know, you've tested it before (3x), please could you send out a broadband engineer"

H) "OK, that's booked for you Sir.  Now is there anything I can help you with today Sir?"

J) "No thank you"

K) "OK - bye.  And you have a wonderful day Sir"

L) "Yes - you too.  Bye"

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 43

Go to solution

sad...true...but Smiley Very Happy

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
MPR
Contributor
Message 16 of 43

Go to solution

Update.  Spoke to BT customer services.  They told me that there has been a fault at the exchange (rumour is there is a lot of work going on there in preparation for Infinity next year - I can't wait).  If true a fault at the exchange would explain why broadband dropped out the other day, sending noise margin up and speed down.

Meanwhile noise margin has come back down a bit on its own - has moved from 21.something to 18.something today, I guess because the system is realising that the line has been more stable since.  I have also asked mods to reset noise margin back down to hurry up that particular process.

Hopefully once noise margin comes down, speed will drift back up again from tonight's princely 700kbps(!!!) - assuming (and it's a big assumption) the line stays stable.

It's all an education, and fun and games this.  I didn't realise when I got broadband that to get it you had to hold your nose in the right way, pray to what ever deity took your fancy, sacrifice endless evenings to navigating BT's phone systems and call centres, educate yourself about wizzards/ mods, and incant magic spells that mention the mysterious words "noise margin" - all to get a service.  

I am sure carrier pigeon or jungle drums would be easier.

Results Image not loaded

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 699 Kbps

0 Kbps1000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 699 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 200-1000 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :1120 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 750 Kbps

onnection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:2 days, 03:15:18
Downstream:1.094 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):18.6 dB / 20.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):50.0 dB / 31.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up):15.8 dBm / 11.9 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):431 / 1531
CRC Events (Down/Up):37 / 224
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):41 / 123
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):133262 / 813
0 Ratings
MPR
Contributor
Message 17 of 43

Go to solution

Looks like mods might be riding to the rescue - hooray!!!  Obviously the whole black newspaper thing didn't offend them too much - http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/My-broadband-speed-s-about-as-good-as-yesterda... - I am sure you have to tick the "I've got a hide as think as rhino skin" box on the application form there before you get an interview for such a thankless job.  Copy of email I just sent them below.  Will keep everyone out there in customer land updated.  Copy of email below:

Thanks very much for coming back to me.  I did send an email to bt_com_openworld_support@mailuk.custhelp.com 19:45 Tues, with this same incident number, requesting noise margin reset down, but maybe that ended up in the wrong place?

India told me last night that there had been a fault on the exchange, which caused my broadband to drop out for a few seconds 4:50pm Monday I think.  Noise margin jumped up I think from 18+ to 21+.  Broadband speed halved from around 2Mbps to 1Mbps.  I expect India will come back tonight to say that they have investigated the fault and all is now in order at the exchange.  Meanwhile (Thursday) my broadband is still painfully slow - 750kbps at last check.

In the hope that there will be no further problems on my line, please could you order a reset of noise margin back down?  I am hoping that will shift my broadband speed back up to acceptable levels.

I am worried that I have a noisy line (no idea why - broadband engineers have been out here twice recently).  However, if you could reset noise margin back down then I keep an eye on it, see whether noise margin comes back up, and see whether or not I have a problem that is broader than a 4:50pm Monday few second drop out at the exchange.  Meanwhile, last night I have also ordered a BT business hub from Ebay for £20 because people have said online that those hubs handle noisy/ long lines better - that hopefully will eliminate a faulty hub as a potential cause of problems (I have a relatively new HH3 and I read online last night that one person had sent back 3 in a row after being told they were all faulty).  I am trying everything I and anyone else can think of!

If you could reset noise margin back down that might take us forward thank you, and then I can update posts accordingly.

Many thanks,

Mark

0 Ratings
MPR
Contributor
Message 18 of 43

Go to solution

Those mods are awesome!

Broadband engineer is coming out to see me, and to advise why line might be so noisy.

Wow that was quick!

0 Ratings
MPR
Contributor
Message 19 of 43

Go to solution

And he's coming Monday - and he may get a big kiss from me if he sorts me out - I'm [aaargh] choking here - IP profile down to 750kbps this morning.  Meanwhile have new Windows 7 laptop to get updated!  Reminds me of the old days of dial up...

Results Image not loaded

<script type="text/javascript">// paintProgressAndMessageOnBar(100,"The test has successfully completed"); // </script> Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 372 Kbps

0 Kbps1000 Kbps Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 372 Kbps For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 200-1000 Kbps. Additional Information: Your DSL Connection Rate :1120 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM) IP Profile for your line is - 750 Kbps

Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:3 days, 15:40:55
Downstream:1.094 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):22.4 dB / 20.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):50.0 dB / 31.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up):15.8 dBm / 11.9 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):566 / 1551
CRC Events (Down/Up):57 / 243
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):55 / 135
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):133276 / 824
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 43

Go to solution

your profile of 750 is the same as it was on the 30/11 and correct for your connection speed

0 Ratings