Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MPR
Contributor
Message 21 of 43

Re: Broadband dropping out, noise high, speed slow

Go to solution

Yeah you're right - my mistake - it is, in actual fact, as completely awful as it was before.  It just hit me again this morning when I was trying to use the computer - how bad it is (I am sure you'll corect me I'm wrong - c.400kbps download this morning).

All in all: still rubbish!!!

0 Ratings
MPR
Contributor
Message 22 of 43

Go to solution

PS - how do you stay so Jolly?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 43

Go to solution

it's all in the nameSmiley Happy

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
MPR
Contributor
Message 24 of 43

Go to solution

Broadband speed still the same as it was - still have high noise margin.  No idea why as engineers have been out twice already and ended up giving it the all clear, with hub connected directly to the socket Openreach fitted and most of the phone sockets inside the house now disconnected as part of previous work.  Engineer coming tomorrow - will keep the forum posted.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 603 Kbps For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 200-1000 Kbps. Additional Information: Your DSL Connection Rate :1120 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM) IP Profile for your line is - 750 Kbps

Line state:Connected
Connection time:6 days, 05:18:33
Downstream:1.094 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):20.7 dB / 20.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):50.0 dB / 31.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up):15.8 dBm / 11.9 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):992 / 1638
CRC Events (Down/Up):100 / 307
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):96 / 178
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):133304 / 864

0 Ratings
MPR
Contributor
Message 25 of 43

Go to solution

Engineer has been out.  He has confirmed that, even though noise is high on my line, he can't see (i) any problem with my internal set up or (ii) any problem with the connection between the exchange and my house.

None of this surprised him.  He said (i) there could be something causing interference inside my home, (ii) it could be a faulty hub (iii) he has seen cases where he has been able to improve the connection between the exchange and the home, even when his equipment is showing good readings in both cases.  Nothing about my situation surprised him.  He has seen it all before.  He said sometimes problems can't be traced.

Anyway, what he has done is beetled off down the road to find the cabinet and swap my line onto a different cable, to see whether a different/ better cable changes anything.  As a result, I now have no broadband and no phone line (I'm not joking), and I'm contacting forum land via my blackberry.

I am assuming that the advice is to get on to BT customer services (via Blackberry, as no phone line) and get the engineer back here.  But what happens after that?

If he had turned up here after his work at the cabinet, and my phone line had still been working, I would have asked him whether he could rustle me up a new hub to try (he said that would be his next course of action) - but he has disappeared now.

So - forum land.  Any ideas what next?  Obviously I'm going to ring customer services to get the engineer back so that at least have a basic phone connection.  But what's the medium-term plan after that?  These are my ideas: 

(i) - new hub?  Eliminate that as a cause of a problem.

(ii) strip my home network down to its bare bones.  Remove anything and everything within any distance of the home hub (power board, Vodafone suresignal femtocell, TP Link wireless ethernet adapter, wireless door bell) and plug home hub into the test socket for a while [disabling my extended home network and making it impossible for our business to run out the back of our property]

(iii) = both of the above.

Any ideas? [Help!]

0 Ratings
MPR
Contributor
Message 26 of 43

Go to solution

Actually - panicked there a bit too quickly.  Phone and broadband were only temporarily knocked out.  Broadband engineer is back here (and there's me, thinking he had gone home for tea - he deserved a lot more credit than that).  He says he's going to change over the hub as well.

Will keep you all posted and let you know where it goes from here.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 43

Go to solution

with all this effort you surely must end up with a good improvementSmiley Wink

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
MPR
Contributor
Message 28 of 43

Go to solution

Ha Ha!  If only.  Even the broadband engineer said it was all a "dark art".  What really surprised me was that he had seen it all before, and wasn't at all surprised by my situation.  That means there's lots more out there like me, whether they know it or not...

This is the latest.  Engineer can't find a problem in my internal set up.  Engineer has swapped my line onto a new cable in the cabinet - but he did say that it was already on a good cable.  He has also swapped the hub for good measure.

What next?  Any advice out there?  Here are my ideas:

(i) ask for mods to reset noise back down and watch what happens?

(ii) strip my network set up down to its bare bones as described previously, absolutely proving there can be no radio interference from elsewhere inside my house?

(iii) give up, learn to live with 400kbps 'broad'band, and wait for infinity?

I notice that my DSL rate is suddenly higher, with speed a little better than I'm used to, so perhaps IP profile will drift up on its own over the next few days.  So I guess an option (iv) is do nothing and wait and see what happens.  The only other idea the engineer had was to see how it goes, then get another engineer out to monitor the attenuation at the cabinet.  The engineer I had mentioned that attentuation at the cabinet was 45 (50 at my house), where he would have expected 35 at the cabinet.  If the attenuation was fluctuating, that would be a sign that all was not well at the cabinet, despite his testing euipment returning clear readings.  He said then I could ask for the phone line to be swapped again onto a "different block" - although he said BT would be recluctant to do that because they only have so many lines to go around.

Any ideas out there?  I'm getting the feeling from talking to this engineer this afternoon that, if you're on the end of a long line, you are just going to get rubbish broadband and that's pretty much the end of it.

Any bright ideas people?

Download speedachieved during the test was - 684 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 200-1000 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :1824 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 750 Kbps

Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 00:52:02
Downstream:1.781 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):19.9 dB / 20.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):50.9 dB / 31.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up):18.1 dBm / 11.9 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):12 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):3 / 0

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 43

Go to solution
Hi MPR Yes it is a matter of waiting 3/5 days for your ip profile to rise with your current connection speed your profile should rise to 1.5mb
and yes providing you maintain 3 days stable connection then contact the mods and get the noise margin reset
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 43

Go to solution

did your friendly engineer say if with all the changes he had done he had put your line back into training mode - ie 10 days where the exchange tries to find best stable speed?

If there was no mention of training then I think I would email the mods to reset noise margin to 6 instead of waiting for profile to rise.  get better speed then wait for profile to catch up

0 Ratings