cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
janz1961
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 31

Broadband dropping repeatedly, two engineer visits: still not resolved

For the last 3 weeks the broadband via our Homehub 3 has been dropping repeatedly but intermittently.  Sometimes it will be stable for hours, other times it will dropping as sonn as it has come up again, so every couple of minutes.  We have had two visits from engineers. The first replaced the ancient entry box (although we had never suffered from crackly lines) and then monitored the line from both inside the house and outside for about half an hour, but no fault manifested.  The second replaced the brittle line coping into the house (and was horrified that the previous engineer hadn't, given that it had blue tape wrapped around a join just outside the window where it came into the house and was very brittle) back to the junction where the line into the house split between ourselves and our downstairs' neighbour.  Having said that, even wiggling the brittle ljoin vigourously didn't trigger the broadband to go down. The engineer even commented on ouw low the error rate was - only 1.

The 2nd Engineer appeared to identify that the problem was exchange side as he managed to pick up the fault at the cabinet. He worked with the exchange and changed the SNR setting to 6dB which he thought/hoped would resolve the problem.  It was stable that evening (last Friday) but since then the Boradband connection has been sropping if anything even more frequently.

I contacted the 2nd Level Help Line via the SMS message that had confirmed the Engineer's appointment (took them over 5 hours to get back to me and that was only after a follow-up SMS) and they seemed to say that I might had a more unstable service for a couple fo days and just to see out it would settle before ringing them back.

Having read the forum here, I am reulctant to ring them back given that over 3 weeks we are if anything worse off.

Here are some of my stats (there are another 2 pages!)

0 Ratings
30 REPLIES 30
janz1961
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 31

Re: Broadband dropping repeatedly, two engineer visits: still not resolved

These stats are probably more useful. I resume "connection time" is since the last time the broadband disconnected.

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 00:24:44
Downstream:11.86 Mbps
Upstream:828 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):9.5 dB / 11.8 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):28.0 dB / 16.1 dB
Output power (Down/Up):20.3 dBm / 12.7 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):2987 / 104
CRC Events (Down/Up):2 / 297
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 31

could you please repost your adsl stats again this time those showing the hidden stats when the show more detail button is pressed
janz1961
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 31

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 01:36:19
Downstream:11.61 Mbps
Upstream:828 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):8.7 dB / 11.2 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):28.0 dB / 16.1 dB
Output power (Down/Up):20.4 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):10791 / 441
CRC Events (Down/Up):15 / 291
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):166 / 8
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):598 / 7954
0 Ratings
janz1961
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 31

Those are the details from about 8 minutes ago.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 31

ok are you connected to the test socket ?

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise any noise heard should be reported to BT Faults on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call
0 Ratings
janz1961
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 31

Not currently connected to the test socket. Did the quiet line test this morning (albeit with a cordless phone) with no discernible noise. Will re-do once I've found the corded phone - but the engineer had tested it on Friday and not found anything.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 31

you really need to try the test socket as that will eliminate any possible internal wiring problems
0 Ratings
janz1961
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 31

Will do so in the morning (dealing with family crises at the moment) - but the engineer on Friday connected via the test socket and couldn't see anything - showed me the results and commented how good they were. He seemed to think the errors were exchange side as he managed to pick up errors at the road (?) cabinet. He thought he had got it fixed at the exchange with setting the SNR to 6dB.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 31

no problems post back when you can
0 Ratings