cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Broadband drops connection multiple times a day for multiple properties on the street

Hi there, hoping someone can help.  Each day our home hub will lose connection to the internet, this happens at seemingly random times of the day between 2-10 times each day.  The connection drops for a few seconds and then takes about 30 seconds to come back up.  

I contacted BT through DM on twitter, they ran line tests and then organised an engineer.  This was a line engineer and he found no issues with the line at all.  The problem continued, BT then sent out a broadband engineer who can find no problems with the broadband side be it on the property or in the cabinet.  In the meantime I spoke to me neighbours, they had been experiencing the same problem and have also had multiple engineers out who have found no problems.  I then spoke to another neighbour (who is on talk talk) but is having the same problem, to me this hints that the issue is somewhere in the cabinet rather than individual property/routers etc. 

I have contacted BT again through twitter this morning and have just been told that "5 drops per day is normal" which is laughable. Each time contact is done through twitter it is a different person so I am hoping someone can advise how to progress the issue more constructively?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Broadband drops connection multiple times a day for multiple properties on the street

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

if you have neighbours who are also BT customers and are getting same problem it would help if they also joined the forum and posted information  do you know if neighbours who experience the drops in connection all happen at same time as that would certainly point to a common point

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 5

Re: Broadband drops connection multiple times a day for multiple properties on the street

Thanks for the reply

Stats below

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

Firmware version:

SG4B1000E020

Firmware updated:

02-Apr-2020

-

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 10 Hours 55 Minutes 29 Seconds

Data rate:

10.00 Mbps / 40.00 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

11998 / 46870

Noise margin:

7 dB / 6.9 dB

Line attenuation:

42 dB

Signal attenuation:

28.3 dB / 42 dB

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

487 MB Uploaded / 4 GB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 11)

5 GHz wireless network name:

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

0.48.8-sec

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream HandbackThreshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date Left in JumperHigh Low High Low        VDSL Range A (Clean) 

VDSL Range B (Impacted) 

52.13511.67.230AvailableAvailable--
50.530.711.46.625AvailableAvailable--
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install ProcessFTTP on Demand
33030--Available--
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) ADSL Availability Date WBC SOADSL Availability Date Left in JumperWBC ADSL 2+WBC ADSL2+ Annex MADSL MaxWBC Fixed RateFixed Rate
Up to 5--4 to 6AvailableAvailableYes
Up to 5Up to 0.54 to 6AvailableAvailableYes
Up to 4--3 to 5AvailableAvailable--
1----AvailableAvailableYes
1----Available----
Observed Speeds VDSLMax Observed Downstream SpeedMax Observed Upstream SpeedObserved Date
2020-07-16
Other Offerings Availability DateVDSL MulticastADSL Multicast
Available
Available
Premise Environment StatusBridge TapVRINTE FacePlateLast Test Date
U
N
N
27-07-2020
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Thanks for the reply - I think I have posted the required info.  I do not actually have a land line phone!  However the engineer carried out the quiet line test and it came back fine.  I looked in the logs and filtered by "dsl:VDSL Link Down" This gave me a list of when the drops happened.  I compared this to my neighbours and there drops were at different times, some were similar but not all.

0 Ratings