cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Broadband drops out every 12 hours

For the last few months my broadband (FTTC Infinity) connection has been dropping out every 12 hours between 6am and 7am and then again between 6pm and 7pm - occasionally it will stay up for 24 hours but the drop time seems to be the same. When it drops it almost immediately restarts but it is enough to drop outbound VPN connections or stop radio streamming. When it is working I get a reasonable 40 down 10 up connection speed.

I raised a fault for this VOL053-******** but it didn't really go anywhere. They reset the line and the connection stayed up for 14 hours but then stopped again and has not dropped back to the 12 hour uptime.

I am not using the Homehub 3 that was supplied but am using the Openreach modem (I have tried both the ECI and Huawei versions).

I have tried the modem PSU connected to a UPS and direct to the mains in case it was a power line issue but that didn't make any difference.

The internal wiring to the BT master socket was replaced recently in the hope that this would resolve the issue, it now comes directly from the pole to the BT master socket with no connection to internal devices except my alarm system.

Does anyone know what could be causing this and how I can fix it?

Thanks

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Broadband drops out every 12 hours

First remove the VOL number, that is personal to you and should not be posted on a public forum.

As the restarts happen at the same time each day is there anything in your house which switches on or off at those times?

Tingsto look at would be immersion heaters central heating etc.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

I saw another post where that was the problem and checked the central heating schedule and nothing matches, the drop outs are the same time at the weekend and the central heating schedule is completely different.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

What times do your street lights go on and off.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Does your alarm system check in to a central system twice daily?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

is the alarm system fitted with a filter
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Re: Alarm calling out: Not aware it does but that would be no different to a phone call wouldn't it?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Re: is the alarm system fitted with a filter

What sort of filter? It has been in place for a long time and even with ADSL I never had an issue.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

I have done some more investigation and couldn't find a schedule that might be causing this.

What I did realise is that there is a long cable (10m) between the BT socket and the modem, I have changed this to an expensive shielded cable and so far the dropouts are less frequent. I am going to try re-routing this to avoid all potential sources of interference and see if that makes it even better.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

while at it try using a portable radio tuned to 612mhz MW and see if you get interference noise near hub or along length of cable although the new shielded cable will help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings