cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ptolemy
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Broadband failure in Cornwall

I have been having misery with my broadband connection for over three weeks. There was a major service outage at the exchange which BT keeps claiming has been fixed and then concedes has not been fixed. Every time I try to telephone I get a different person and am asked the same questions over and over, and sometimes I am spoken to as though I were an idiot. No one gives me the same answer and I am never permitted to speak to anyone local in authority. My line has been tested by a BT engineer and there is no problem there. I am rapidly becoming desperate as I must work online and my work has suffered. Moreover, my partner has a heart condition and a defibrillator which must be monitored online. What can I do other than go to the local papers and make as loud a stink as possible? I cannot believe any company could be permitted to treat its customers this way and continue to take our money. Other providers have to use BT lines so it would not help to change. I have wasted endless hours on the phone but nothing seems to help. At our exchange there is a super fast line that serves the new housing estates, but there is also a line that serves the rural properties and BT have stated that it is 'uneconomic' to upgrade the box for this line. Does anyone have any advice?
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Ptolemy
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Re: Broadband Very Slow (+ Superfast Cornwall disappointment)

Hello,
I have just moved to the Callington area and when I first arrived the broadband speed was around 6mb. In the last two weeks the broadband has collapsed and we are lucky to get 1mb. I have phoned BT constantly and each time I get a different person who gives me a different answer. My line has been checked and it is not my equipment nor the line to my property. I understand there was a major service outage here but although BT claims it has been fixed, it hasn't. Everyone who is connected to the antiquated box in this area is suffering. I need to work online and this is being made impossible. My partner has a serious heart condition and a defibrillator that must be checked online, so he is in danger. My anger and frustration are enormous and I find it extraordinary that I cannot speak to anyone in the UK who will give me straight answers about why the guaranteed minimum speed is not being met. Three miles away they get super fast, but upgrading our local box is, according to BT, "uneconomical", which means not profitable enough, and therefore if you live in a rural part of Cornwall you are evidently unimportant even though the bill is the same. Is there anyone who can give me advice on what to do? I will go to my local MP and to the newspapers if necessary. I do not think this kind of total monopoly over telephone services is even legal. Help!
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

I moved your post to start your own subject so any replies are in conenction with your post

Openreach are under no obligation to provide a broadband service just a phone service.  Your street cab appears uneconomic to upgrade unless BDUK are prepared to meet the cost

If you want assistance from  the forum with your current connection please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 4 of 9

Re: Broadband failure in Cornwall

Hi @Ptolemy

Is this the same problem as you posted here: https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-Broadband-Speed/Re-Broadband-Very-Slow-Superfast-Cornwall-di...

If you can post the information posted by imjolly then it will help the community help you.

Please see Keith's help guide here: Helping forum members to help you

A summary of the checks are:
1a) Is your router/Homehub connected by a BT NTE5 master socket, Adsl Filtered Master Socket or Extension Socket? Please bear in mind that extension cables and extension sockets can reduce the broadband's performance. If you have an Old LJU master socket then please say.

1b) Have you tried the Test Socket? - if you have one.

2) Can you please run a BT speed test (including IP Profile) http://speedtest.btwholesale.com (not beta version)[Best done with a wired, Ethernet, connection] After Quick Test is done you need to click "Further Diagnostics" to get IP Profile.

3) is there any noise on your line. dial 17070 option2 ,called quite line test, from landline phone. should be silent but slight hum normal on cordless phone.

4) please post adsl line statistics

5) Please can you copy and paste the information for you line from http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl (make sure you edit out your landline number before posting though)

ADSL Line Statistic Help:

If you have a BT Home Hub like the one below...

Then:
1) Go to http://192.168.1.254 or http://bthomehub.home
2) click Settings
3) Click Advanced Settings
4) Click Broadband
5) Click Connection or sometimes called ADSL (see picture Below)
adslconnection.png
The direct Address is http://bthomehub.home/index.cgi?active_page=9116 (for bthomehub3.A firmware ending in 1.3)
or http://bthomehub.home/index.cgi?active_page=9118 (for bthomehub3.A firmware ending in 94.1.11)

You will need to copy and past all the adsl line statistics ( Including HEC, CRC and FEC errors). You may need to click " More Details"

If you have a HomeHub 4 then the majority of the ADSL Stats shown in the previous Hubs will not be there.
for HH4 users you can go to hub manager then select troubleshooting then logs and are look for 2 entries together which will show theconnection speed and noise margin for when your HH4 last sycned with the exchange.

There are more useful links on Keith's website here: If you have an ADSL connection, please select this link

Don't have a BT Homehub/Voyager?
http://192.168.0.1 for a netgear router and look for ADSL adsl statistics with information like noise margin and line attenuation, connection speed
http://192.168.2.1 for a belkin router and look for ADSL adsl statistics with information like noise margin and line attenuation, Data Rate

0 Ratings
RobbieMac
Message 5 of 9

Re: Broadband failure in Cornwall

Hi ptolemy,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community forum!

Sorry for the problems you're having with your broadband.  I've checked for service outages from here and I'm not seeing anything outstanding in the Cornwall area.

You can send over your details and we'll help you from here.  Click on my username and under the "about me" section of my profile you'll see the link to get in touch with us.

Cheeers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Ptolemy
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

It is not helpful to ask me to do tests online as the whole problem is that the broadband connection keeps dropping. I am also not a distinguished tech guru so cannot provide the kind of technical info you are asking for. All I want is a human being to speak to who can communicate in comprehensible English about what is really going on with the Callington exchange. You know perfectly well that most BT customers cannot provide such detailed info, especially when online access is so poor. Try doing better than that and please give me a phone number in the UK where I can speak to a person in authority.
0 Ratings
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 9

Please note that most users here are just other customers trying to help: the only BT presence here is from the forum moderators.

Based on what you've said in your opening post, I think it would be better for you to get mod assistance rather than attempting to get support from other forum members, especially as internet access is literally necessary for your partner's health. However, it's up to the CL's if they want to highlight this issue to them.

At most, can you go to the following link and post the results (please delete your phone number when you post the results): http://dslchecker.bt.com

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

obviously you did not read about the forum before you posted as already said twice this is a customer help customer forum and you don't have to be a techie to follow direction and post some information

however with the attitude I doubt may forum customers want to help.  As you have posted the same problem on a different board and have already been offered Mod help I suggest you take up the offer and provide the mods with the information needed when you complete the email

after completing the email you join a queue of other customers waiting for mod help all of whom consider their problem priority hence replies are in order the email is received and at present that is taking about 6 working days (excludes weekends)

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

there are no UK numbers the information asked for is really very simple to obtain and without it no one here is able to offer you help
0 Ratings