Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
MajorNibbles
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

Broadband fault, I think!

Hello,

I have had BT Total broadband option 3 for only 3 months, and it has only worked correctly for around half this time.

I raised a fault on my line on 25th Feb which was closed the next week as the line speed did increase, but for only a couple of days.

The person on the phone said there was a fault in their equipment. I knew it wasn't the phone line itself and have checked it and the speed is the same even about 6 metres away from the main frame in the exchange!

I just want to make sure this hadn't happened before with an easier fix than getting in contact with BT...

Here is a copy/paste of my homehub screen, showing that it is synchronising at nearly 3mb!

Line state Connected <script type="text/javascript">// function p_ajax_adsl_status() { ajax_download_start('adsl_status=1', p_ajax_adsl_status_cb); } function p_ajax_adsl_status_cb(xml) { if (document.getElementById('adsl_status').innerHTML != xml) { document.getElementById('adsl_status').innerHTML = xml; mimic_button('submit_button_ajax_refresh', 1); } else setTimeout('p_ajax_adsl_status()', 5000); } setTimeout('p_ajax_adsl_status()', 5000); // </script>
Connection time 0 days, 03:02:08
Downstream 2,816 Kbps
Upstream 448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 14.3 dB / 21.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 50.3 dB / 30.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 4.3 dBm / 1.7 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 112 / 4
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 34 / 2
HEC Errors (Down/Up) 102 / 2
Error Seconds (Local/Remote) 26 / 2

Any help will be appreciated

Many thanks,

Paul Le May

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Moderator-Retired
Message 2 of 3

Re: Broadband fault, I think!

Hi MajorNibbles

Your noise margin is pretty high at 14.3 db and has probably increased following the line fault.  You'll need to let the connection stablise again and not carry out any further resets on your hub. 

Once the exchange can see the hub is holding the connection without problems then the SNR will eventually drop, pushing up your speed.

Thx

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
IceZaroth
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 3

Re: Broadband fault, I think!

P.s another note as well as not resetting the homehub dont turn it off from the mains-power, It needs a further 3-5 Days of constantly on 24/7 to stabilise your line.

Warmest Regards

IceZaroth

BT Community helper

0 Ratings