cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ceth
Message 1 of 12

Broadband getting slower

Hi all

I wonder if someone can have a look at my router stats and throw some light onto what is happening.

At the beginning of the year I upgraded my broadband package and was enjoying +/- 1.5mb which doesn’t

Sound like much but the distance to the exchange is long and I was perfectly happy with that amount.

Over time it has fluctuated but it did remain in the same region.

Just of late though it has got slower and slower.

Earlier today it was less than .5mb and currently it is at .75mb, I have been in touch with BT  and after several calls  I believe they are working on the problem.

However I would be interested to find out what all the errors and events are and what they mean to my connection one thing I did following other checks On my wiring etc was I removed the BT accelerator, that increased the downstream figure by .2.

Any one any ideas

Regards

Ceth

Line state:

Connected

Connection time:

0 days, 05:28:19

Downstream:

1.75 Mbps

Upstream:

448 Kbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI:

0/38

Type:

PPPoA

Modulation:

G.992.1 Annex A

Latency type:

Interleaved

Noise margin (Down/Up):

6.6 dB / 14.0 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up):

66.2 dB / 31.5 dB

Output power (Down/Up):

17.4 dBm / 12.5 dBm

FEC Events (Down/Up):

5160785 / 685

CRC Events (Down/Up):

29273 / 641

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

HEC Events (Down/Up):

175845 / 1177

Error Seconds (Local/Remote):

2342 / 1326

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Broadband getting slower

can you run btspeedtester and post the results.  you currently have a 1.75mb connection but your profile may be low due to the disconnections or your download speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Ceth
Message 3 of 12

Hi

I ran the btspeedtester yesterday and my IP Profile was at 1mb i will run it again.

Bt told me 1mb was acceptable for the line length

Ceth

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

with your connection speed then profile should be 1500

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Ceth
Message 5 of 12

Thank you imjolly

I have carried out the bt speed tester and the results are below

1st test brings up this.

1st.jpg

Then the second brings up this one.

2nd.jpg

It seems to be getting even slower, i would be interested in how the IP profile is set, considering i used to get 1.5mb and when i questioned BT about that figure when i upgraded and i was told it would remain so.

What should i do next?

Regards

Ceth

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

as you can see your profile is low at 750 instead of 1500.  you now need to stay connected 24/7 with no resets for 3/5 days and your profile should rise automatically

profile info here  http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm

0 Ratings
Ceth
Message 7 of 12

imjolly

Thanks for the info, i will do that, is the ip profile set with a maximum (a stop point) or will

it go above the 1mb level as it updates, not withstanding any faults on the line if there is any.

Regards

Ceth

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

if you look at the kitz link you will see all about profile.  profile is dependant on your connection speed so if you find you down connection speed and then look up kitz that will show the profile should have for your current speed.  your should be 1500 and will rise to that if you stay connected

0 Ratings
Ceth
Message 9 of 12

Imjolly

I been reading kitz and it makes sense, i didnt realise i could put my numbers in. i will leave it connected and see what happens

Thanks for your time and response

Merry Xmas

Regards

Ceth

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

we are happy to help any time please post back if you need further help
0 Ratings