cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
evansyonnais
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Broadband goes off if more than one device connected

Hello - have done a speed test and here are the results - they mean absolutely nothing to me.

download speed - 91 kbps

acceptable range - 50 to 250 kbps

dsl connection rate - 160 kbps downstream and 224 kbps upstream

Ip profile - 135 kbps

can anyone translate this?  we have SKY phone on BT line.  If playstation is on and someone goes on Pc/ipad or laptop then connection is very slow and playstation goes offline.

what do i need to do?

many thanks

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Broadband goes off if more than one device connected

please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester http://speedtester.bt.com and post the results.

are you connected to the NTE5 master or test socket or somewhere else? Do you have any phone extension sockets in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone

your connection speed is very low not much above dial-up

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
evansyonnais
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

ADSL line status Connection Information Line state Connected Connection time 0 days, 01:27:28 Downstream 160 Kbps Upstream 224 Kbps ADSL Settings VPI/VCI 0/38 Type PPPoA Modulation G.992.1 Annex A Latency type Interleaved Noise margin (Down/Up) 17.9 dB / 7.0 dB Line attenuation (Down/Up) 54.0 dB / 31.5 dB Output power (Down/Up) 0.3 dBm / 0.6 dBm

connected to normal phone socket by normal adsl filter

done quiet line test - hear nothing

0 Ratings
Highlighted
evansyonnais
Beginner
Message 4 of 15

here are added details

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationG.992.1 Annex A
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)18.1 dB / 7.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)54.0 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)0.3 dBm / 0.6 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote)0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)20 / 31
CRC Errors (Down/Up)23 / 21
HEC Errors (Down/Up)19 / 13
Error Seconds (Local/Remote)4 / 4
Tags (2)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

do you have a test socket behind the bottom half ot the NTE5 master socket? if you have one have you tried connecting to it?  do you have any other phone extension sockets in your home?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
evansyonnais
Beginner
Message 6 of 15

Am so sorry for my technical ignorance but what is the NTE5 master socket?  There are a few phone extension sockets here.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

Hi the NTE socket is the first socket in your house were the bt line enters if the front of it remove the two screws and carefully remove the front plate the test socket is behind it
0 Ratings
evansyonnais
Beginner
Message 8 of 15

Yes - I found it - when i connect through the test socket the following shows

Downstream6,112 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps
Tags (2)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

wow what an improvement

from 160kbps to 6112kbpsSmiley Very Happy

looks like a problem with your internal wiring creating noise

0 Ratings
evansyonnais
Beginner
Message 10 of 15

ok - when modem is connected through the plastic double socket 'thing' into the BT case one socket gives me a readin of 160 kbps. the other 2400 kbps and the test socket 6200 - do i just keep it in the test socket?

0 Ratings