cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 12

Broadband intermittent dropout

My Broadband (home hub 4) has been intermittently dropping out (orange flash) sometimes 40 times a day for a few months. I have had a new hub, two engineer visits, tried the test socket tried several factory resets and new ADSL cables, and nothing resvolves the issue. can anyone help please? 

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Re: Broadband dropping out intermittently

My Broadband/ home hub has been intermittently dropping out for a few months. I have had a new hub, two engineer visits, tried the test socket tried several factory resets and new ADSL cables, and nothing resvolves the issue. can anyone help please? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Is there anything else connected to your phone line?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

I dont have a phone connected so i cant test for noise. but as mentioned i have had the line checked twice by engineers and they cant find anything wrong with it. I only have one master socket.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

You will need a phone to prove whether its a noise fault. If its a noisy line, then reporting it as a phone fault is likely to get the problem fixed quicker.

If the phone line is noisy or has a high resistance connection, then that will affect your broadband.

The lack of any current flowing through the wires due to the lack of a phone providing an occasional loop, causes oxidisation at any joints which causes the line resistance to increase. This does not show up on a normal line test.

With Private Circuits it is common practice to allow a small "DC Wetting" current to flow through the line to prevent this problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wetting_current

There are quite a few people like yourself that do not plug a house phone in to check dial tone every so often. This can cause issues with broadband. Also, if one wire has become disconnected (quite common), then that will cause no broadband,  constant disconnections, or a very low speed.

The solution is to get hold of a cheap (less than £5) wired phone, and plug it into the phone socket to see if you get dial tone.

Then dial 17070 (free call)  and select option 2, quiet line test, and see if there is any noise on the line.

If you do not get dial tone, or there is noise on the line, then you need to report it as either no dial tone, or a noisy line. Do not mention the broadband.

Once the phone fault is fixed, then the broadband will get better. It will get fixed quicker, as there are plenty of Field Technicians who can fix phone faults, but not many broadband ones.

You may find that the very act of plugging a phone in, and getting dial tone, fixes your broadband, as it breaks down any corrosion.

An interesting thread here http://www.broadbandbanter.com/showthread.php?t=29287

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Have a working phone now attatched, i have a dial tone, have tried the 17070-2 test and made a normal call with no noise on the line all normal. Will monitor for the next 24 hours 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Have done a few more quiet line tests and there is a slight crackle on the line. When in the test socket (beneath faceplate) the crackle didnt seem to be there. Does this suggest fault is internal or with the line itself ? 

Many thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Internal fault within your wiring, maybe on an extension somewhere.

What you need to do is to see if you still get the dropouts if you connect things up as shown below.

adsl_test.jpg

If it does not drop out, then the problem is within your own extensions.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Re: Broadband intermittent dropout

Have had a phone line connected for a couple of weeks. Slight occasional noise on the line, connected to test socket, same results. Drop outs went away for a short while but have started happening again.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 12

Re: Broadband intermittent dropout

Hi @gseward and thanks for posting.

If you're getting noise on the line when conncted to the test socket you need to report it as a line fault to 151. They'll be able to run some diagnostic checks for you.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings