cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nath1993mito
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

Broadband is either rather slow or disconnects randomly

Hi, Ive only had my broadband for a week and a half (approx) since i had it installed i understood my speed could be pretty bad and also my connection issues would be there. since monday of this week it has been disconnecting randomly. tuesday it wouldnt work at all, it was saying that i had internet access on my PC but i couldnt do anything regarding the internet. i tried reseting my HH4 and testing the connection via the "testing port " on the NTE5 box (which im confused wether it should or shouldnt have internal wiring as my NTE5 does not) and apparantly it was fine. i then tried for 1 hour to find help on BTs wonderful website which requires you to log in on every webpage it loads up and had no luck. i then tried the online chat and waiting for another hour while the timer on it kept saying 2 minutes, then 3 minutes, then 5 then 6 etc  and then "we apologise for the delay" etc. (this had to be done on my mobile data which i used a lot of thanks to the websites brilliant design...

I eventually decided to phone BT. i got through to a lady which i could hardly hear / understand what she was asking for but eventually got to the point that she found a problem and then had to escalate the issue to the repair or maintenace dep or something along those lines.

Now today its working, if you could call it that at least. it is slow at loading a webpage, it struggled to load this one so i could type this message. i cant even load up the speed test page....

can anyone help me as i feel like BT customer service dont want to..

Thanks!

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
nath1993mito
Beginner
Message 2 of 17

Re: Broadband is either rather slow or disconnects randomly

And the award for the most slowest and also most useless link goes to BT!

The speed test link doesnt work. This link works only to show you this message...

Sorry, we're busy making improvements, please try again later. Meanwhile, more help is available at www.BT.com /help.

Also i cant for some reason use the link for the page to show you but im guessing most of you know what im talking about and so i cant test my connection.

I have never had such a bad experience with an ISP ever, and ive never had such a slow speed as im getting.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 17

Can you go to hub manager then troubleshooting then helpdesk and post the stats

Can you run btspeedtster and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results.

btspeedtester

Can you enter your phone number and poste results remember to delete number. https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
nath1993mito
Beginner
Message 4 of 17

1. Product Name: HomeHub4 2. Serial number: +076281+1511004464 3. Firmware version: v0.07.01.0910-BT (Type B) Last updated [Unknown] 4. Board version: 01A 5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 09:12:09 6. Data Rate: 448 / 2080 7. Maximum Data Rate: 876 / 3340 8. Noise Margin: 14.0 / 14.3 9. Line Attenuation: 31.5 / 48.5 10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 48.5 11. Data sent/received: 14.4 MB / 274.1 MB 12. Broadband username: ************ 13. BT Wi-fi: No 14. 2.4GHz wireless network/SSID: BTHub4-P72P 15. 2.4GHz wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s)) 16. 2.4GHz wireless security: WPA & WPA2 (Recommended) 17. 2.4GHz wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless) 18. 5GHz wireless network/SSID: BTHub4-P72P 19. 5GHz wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 n (up to 300 Mb/s)) 20. 5GHz wireless security: WPA2 Only 21. 5GHz wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless) 22. Firewall: Default 23. MAC Address: 4c:09:d4:ea:c8:80 24. VPI/VCI: 0/38 25. Modulation: G.992.1(DMT) 26. Latency type: Interleaved 27. Software variant: - 28. Boot loader: 0.4.3-BT (Mon Jun 9 14:23:56 2014)

HH4 manager>help desk stats

I cant use the speed test as the website isnt working for it. 

Telephone Number .......... on Exchange ASHTON IN MAKERFIELD is served by Cabinet 19

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 2.5--1 to 4Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 2.5Up to 0.51 to 4Available
ADSL MaxUp to 2.5--1.5 to 3.5Available
WBC Fixed Rate2----Available
Fixed Rate2----Available
Other Offerings
Copper Multicast------Available

FTTC is currently not available on this cabinet due to following reasons:- This cabinet is under review. We'll explore fibre broadband solutions & will update once done..

at most ive seen when trying to find something to test my download speed on is 100 Kb/s or less

0 Ratings
nath1993mito
Beginner
Message 5 of 17

Following the advice of the speed test you linked has resulted in my HH4 going from steady blue light to orange and then flashing orange and then red "b" light flashing and then back to blue and so on. I'm now using my mobile data yet again to upload this message as I am unable to use the internet what so ever...

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

Your connection time is only 9 hrs was that a manual reset or router dropping connection?  Your noise margin is very high at 14db as normal is about 6db but if you can get back to 6db then your connection speed would improve

are you using the test socket or somewhere else?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 17

Using btspeedtester and running first test and diagnostic test should not result in hub lights flashing and a drop in internet connection 

0 Ratings
nath1993mito
Beginner
Message 8 of 17

I've had the router plugged in for days and only been reset when advised to do so. It was left on when I went out this morning.

How would I be able to reduce noise margin back to 6db? And as advised by bt website help and support I have reset and used the test socket when prompted to do so. I just feel I'm having no luck with this broadband. Last weekend, either Saturday or Sunday I saw up to 350 KB/s which seemed rather low as well.

@imjolly wrote:

Your connection time is only 9 hrs was that a manual reset or router dropping connection?  Your noise margin is very high at 14db as normal is about 6db but if you can get back to 6db then your connection speed would improve

are you using the test socket or somewhere else?

0 Ratings
nath1993mito
Beginner
Message 9 of 17

I used the link you provided for the speed test. Upon the page eventually loading I followed the instructions shown on screen which resulted in my failed broadband connection

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

As I said I have used that link many many times and it has never before caused a drop in Internet connection but the test may fail but that is a problem with the wholesale test not your hub

are you currently connected to the test socket with a new filter?  

Your noise margin should drop down to 6db given a stable connection 24/7 but may patient a few weeks to get down to 6db. However if you can get 3+ days stable connection the forum mods will help reset your margin

just because your router is connected to a power socket dies not stop the router dropping connection and causing a reset

0 Ratings