Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MK9999
Beginner
Message 1 of 38

Broadband is essentially unusable

Go to solution

I've had BT broadband for some time and the service has been up and down. At the moment it's basically unusable. The speed is so low it's impossible to stream BBC IPlayer, use YouTube or even send emails as the upload speed is so low that attachments time out.

I've used Money Supermarket's speed test and the download speed is 1.5-2.5 Mbps. I can't actually use the BT speed check - the site times out when I try!

I've tried resetting devices, hub etc, and nothing has improved. Nothing has changed in terms of what devices we are using, how they're connected or anything else, so I'm at a loss as to why it's gone from poor but tolerable to essentially unusable.

Any suggestions? I'm reluctant to shell out £130 to have an engineer shrug and say it is what it is.

0 Ratings
37 REPLIES 37
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 38

Re: Broadband is essentially unusable

Go to solution

Can you post stats from your router.  Can you try btspeedtester again as that is only one BT accept

have you tried quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2 should be quiet and best with corded phone 

can you enter your phone number and post results remember delete number https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
MK9999
Beginner
Message 3 of 38

Go to solution

I don't have a corded phone, and no, I can't report BT's speed test because the speed is too low to actually get the site t operate. There is NO way I can  report BT's "speed" because the service I am paying for is of a standard and quality that is too low to actually use their website! It took nearly an hour to register for this site, because the system is so slow and ineffectual.

CHECKER

Telephone Number(deleted) on Exchange BURYTHORPE is served by Cabinet 1

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)WBC FTTC Availability DateWBC SOGEA Availability DateLeft in Jumper  High Low High Low        Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)WBC FTTP Availability Date   ADSL ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date Left in JumperOther Offerings     Availability Date   Premise environmentStatus

VDSL Range A (Clean)8063.6201955.5AvailableAvailable-- 
VDSL Range B (Impacted)80552017.840AvailableAvailable-- 
FTTP on Demand33030--Available---- 
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 5--3 to 7.5Available---- 
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 5Up to 13 to 7.5Available---- 
ADSL MaxUp to 4--2.5 to 7Available---- 
WBC Fixed Rate2----Available---- 
Fixed Rate2----Available---- 
VDSL Multicast------Available---- 
ADSL Multicast------Available---- 
Bridge TapU      
VRIN      
NTEFaceplateN      
Last Test Date18-05-2018      

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line is on a Market A Exchange.

For VDSL or G.fast Ranges A and B, the term "Clean" relates to a line which is free from any wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions, and the term "Impacted" relates to a line which may have wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions.

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 15-Feb-2018.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact the Broadband supplier they want to take service from to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number, NAD, UPRN or Access Line ID (ALID) check.

If the numbers above are real/correct, why does every single device struggle to give the performance of a second-rate dialup connection? 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 38

Go to solution

Why are you persisting with  standard broadband with such poor speeds when Superfast broadband is available to you at 80Mb/s?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 38

Go to solution

An invement of about £5 in a corded phone could save you the engineer callout charge of £129.99 as it enables you to do checks to make sure problem is not on your side of the test socket meaning that the problem belongs to openreach. The basic test is check for dial tone as broadband will work on one wire connected although slowly whereas phone needs both

without btspeedtester results it is difficult to progress. Did you try using IE/edge as Firefox and chrome have been giving odd results

the results from the checker are estimates and as you can see you can actually get fibre conenction FTTC 

need your router stats to try and progress

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
MK9999
Beginner
Message 6 of 38

Go to solution

Basically, because if standard broadband is capable of delivering about 10% of its stated capability, I'm not willing to pay more for something which might well still only delivers 10% of what's stated. Yes, 10% of 80Mbps would be a vast improvement, but I still don't see why I should pay for something where the actual service level is so miserably poor compared to the expected norm.

0 Ratings
MK9999
Beginner
Message 7 of 38

Go to solution

As I say, BT's speed test basically times out because the connection is so slow - it took about three minutes to open this page from a bookmarked file. I can't get that information because the connection is too slow to acquire the data!

IE is no better, even leaving aside the fact that it's a dreadful browser. Also tried Edge - just as bad. I'll see if I can locate a corded phone somewhere. I'm not near shops to buy one, and online shopping is a bit of a non-stater...

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 38

Go to solution

It doesn't work like that. The reason your adsl is so slow is because of your distance from the exchange. Ultrafast broadband is delivered from the green cabinet, which must be very close to you judging by the checker figures, it is located at the crossroads in Leavening by the Jolly Farmers pub. There is no correlation between the speeds of the 2 systems.

Our village is a long way from the exchange, before our cabinet was enabled my speed was less than 1M, it is now 60M

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 38

Go to solution

please can you post stats from your router as that will help members help you

0 Ratings
MK9999
Beginner
Message 10 of 38

Go to solution

What are "stats from the router"? How do I access the data? Do you mean the model number etc printed on the back?

0 Ratings