cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Broadband issues when connecting extension to Mastersocket 5C

Go to solution

I recently had my master socket upgraded from a 1981 socket to a Mastersocket 5C MK4 as my telephone line was faulty. In doing so the extension line from my old master socket was disconnected. 

I tried reconnecting the extension line by taking the faceplate off the MasterSocket and connecting the correct cables to the extension connector flap of the Master socket. I put the faceplate back on and the extension telephone line to my bedroom worked but my broadband router wouldn't connect to the internet at all. 

Is there a way of getting both the internet and the extension line to work?

My master socket faceplate is the single socket type as in it has the standard telephone connector socket and no ADSL socket. II then have a microfilter on the cable which my landline and router are connected to. Would getting a faceplate with the filter built into it likely solve the problem? 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Broadband issues when connecting extension to Mastersocket 5C

Go to solution

@EnterUsername 

Who provides your broadband connection? You need to run a separate data cable.

See https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/helpandsupport/how-toguides/howtoguides/downloads/NTE5C_Instru...

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

BT I think I know his landline company is, it's my grandfather's house although he has his own TP Link router that he supplied himself. The router I should mention is plugged into the mastersocket and not the extension. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

I assume you mean BT Broadband?

He can only use the broadband socket on the front of the master socket, as the extension terminals no longer carry broadband.

He could plug a data extension cable into the broadband socket, and connect the router to that. You can buy very long ones.

15M ADSL RJ11 Broadband Modem Extension Cable - Male to Male with coupler

Please refer to the document I linked to, for other options, like connecting to the data terminals.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe The OP is connecting router and phone at the master and phone only at the extension, but the extension will have both broadband and phone as it is an unfiltered faceplate.

@EnterUsername  Ensure you haven't dislodged any connections and that the faceplate is connecting fully. Does the phone work in the master socket?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Cheers yes BT Broadband and his internet provider, his current master socket looks like this and it has a microfilter plugged into the master socket. The problem is when I connect an extension to it his broadband won't connect at all although all the telephone work at both the master socket and the extension. If I remove the exertion though the broadband does work. 

EnterUsername_0-1639500322920.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

deleted

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

You need a filter at the extension socket as well as the master.

Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Cheers, if I replaced the faceplate at the master socket with one of these and plugged the router into it would it solve the problem or do I need microfilters filters at every extension? 

EnterUsername_2-1639500920345.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

If you have a filtered faceplate you won't need any external filters at all.