Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blackdolphyn
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Broadband keep cutting out - need urgent advice please

Go to solution

Hi I have BT broadband and use a wireless connection. When I dowload huge files my connection disconnects, this is very frustrating as it aslo mean my boys playing on PS3 and Xbox also loose their connections. This also happens if only I am using the internet. I do not use any P2P programs, I do not download illigal stuff. I am a big gamer and am refering to game downloads. E.g. I reinstalled the online game Star Wars The Old Republic. Then afterwards downloading the updates cut my internet off. Today I am downloading the online game Forsaken World via the official website. However evry 2 minutes the connection go off! Then I have to restart the router for internet to work again. Restarting my PC dont work, I have to restart the BT Home Hub 2.0

This also happened when I download the online game CONAN Rise of the godslayer. Basically I happens when I download any game or big patch for a game.

Please help!!!

Thank you.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Broadband keep cutting out - need urgent advice please

Go to solution

have you tried connecting to the hub with ethernet cable and see if that helps your download stay stable?

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems) bt speedtester and post the results .

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Blackdolphyn
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Thank you for your fast reply:

Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 0:44:02
Downstream8,128 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)6.6 dB / 21.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)37.0 dB / 21.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up)19.8 dBm / 12.1 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)1890 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)21 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up)N/A / 0
Error Seconds (Local)1
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

your stats look ok with very few errors but short conenction time of 44min.  you have max 8mb connection speed for adslmax

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Blackdolphyn
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Results from BTspeedtester:

Download speed: 6.55

Upload speed: 0.36

Ping: 41.63

My hub is directly connected with the wall telephone socket - buyt with a filter in between. It's one of the old wall sockets.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

speedtester results show your download speed is ok which means your profile is ok.

if you are connecting wifi you can try downloading inssider2.1 (istumbler if MAC) and then run it. This will show the broadcasting networks round about you and their channels including your own. If you then enter your router and change your wireless channel to a free or less congested channel.

I am suprised if you are a gamer that you don't use an ethernet cable which is normally best for gamers

john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution
As you are a keen gamer it is always recommended that you use a wired connection there are to many causes of interference also the hubs wireless does suffer with problems when transferring large files
Blackdolphyn
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Thank you for all your replies.

Is a  ethernet cable the yellow cable than can connect the Hub with my PC? (sorry I am a bit of a PC noob). If that is the cable you are referring too then I will have to look into how to do it. I would probably need to buy a telephone lead extesion so I can bring the hub closer to my PC? (Due to practical reasons I cannot move the PC closer to the wall socket).

Will the  ethernet cable also prevent the internet cutting out when I download a game or game patches?

Thanks again for your time.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution
ether net cable is the one you connect your pc to your hub with and an ethernet connection is always the best also the fastest and most secure connection you can buy them in a variety of lengths do not buy an telephone extension cable as they can causes more problems you would be better buying a longer ethernet cable and moving the hub nearer to the master socket and connecting it that way
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

it would be better if your left the router conencted as it is and used a longer ethernet cable - not expensive from well known auction site.

what about inssider2 did you try it and check for other networks round about you?