Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PatrickD
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Broadband keeps failing

Go to solution

Hello - I wonder if anyone can help with my problem as I have given up waiting for a response from BT. I have a Home Hub 4 and I keep losing the connection to the internet even though the Home Hub is, as often as not, still showing a blue light and the icon in the notification area tells me that there is a connection and that the signal strength is excellent. I can solve the problem usually by turning the router off then on again but as this problem is now happening on a daily basis, this is somewhat tedious. I have tried the following things - moving the router away from my neighbour's Home Hub 4, clicking on 'Refresh' on the BT Home Hub Manager page to choose the best channel, connecting devices both wirelessly and through an ethernet cable and used a set of Home Plugs to send the signals via the electrical wiring. None of these things make any difference. We are using a variety of devices including Windows 7 and 8 computers and the problem occurs with any or all of the devices. I live in a rural area and the broadband speed is very slow, I think but it doesn't answer why things can be working fine then not working even when the Home Hub is not showing a problem.

Any help or advice would be thankfully received.

Patrick

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Broadband keeps failing

Go to solution

run inssider 3 and check for networks and move your channel to a free channel.

have you checked that your drivers for wireless card and network card are up to date from the manufacturers website and not rely on windows update

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
PatrickD
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply. I assumed that by clicking refresh on the BT Home Hub manager page, using the smart wireless facility, would automatically choose a free channel. Are you suggesting that I choose the channel myself and if so, how do I know which is the best one to choose. I haven't checked the drivers for the wireless cards but as this problem happens with so many devices, about ten all together - but not all at the same time, I would have thought the problem was with the Home Hub itself.

Patrick

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution
if you run the programme inssider that imjolly posted about that will help you find a clear channel
PatrickD
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

OK so I ran InSSIDer and found that I was using channel 6 and my close neighbour was using channel 11 so that presumably should not be a problem. I tried channel 1 - the program says that those are the only three channels available - but the performance on that channel was not as good. Hence I am back on channel 6.

Just waiting to see if I can go 24 hours without a problem now!

Patrick

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution
you can manually select any of the other wireless channels if you wish providing they are clear
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

the idea of using inssider is to show the channels in use and also the strength of signal so you can choose a free channel and if that is not possible then a channel when your wifi network is the strongest signal.  once decided you then chanhe hub to manual and then select the channel you have chosen - you are not restricted  to 1, 6 and 11

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings