Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bradleykent
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Broadband light flashing orange. A "copper line fault"

Hi all

on Friday 20/01/12 i was using the internet as normal, no weather problems or anything abnormal happening and then as i woke on Saturday 21/01/12 i noticed my broadband (hub 3) had a blue power light, a blue wireless light but a flashing orange light, i followed the steps on the website and restarted my homehub but the still had the same problem. i then changed the adsl filters still had the same problem even tried changing the adsl lead from the socket to the hub but still had the same problem i tried in 3 extension sockets and then also the main bt openzone socket but the problem was still the same.
i then called the bt help line where they made me re iterate the same proccesses twice of what i had already done to then finally test my line and tell me there was a "copper line fault" and the problem would be reapired by 26/01/12. i recieved the email letting me know i would be able to track the fault however when i tried the "track a fault" link it gave me the error message of that the "Sorry we cant complete your request at the moment due to technical error. Please try again" and since the 21/01/12 i have still not recieved a fault update and after many attempts at "trying again" still unable to track the progress.

The internet is crucial to my work and i need it to be running as soon as possible. i live in an apartment and have asked my neighbours if their phone line isnt working but theirs is still working and mine is the only one that isnt, i can't seem to understand how this has happened and why mine is the only one not working, and now with the phone line and broadband not working, my work will be suffering and the implications of not having the internet will be a big impact. 

Is anyone else having a problem with tracking their fault or had this fault before and could offer some guidance?

really need this fault to raised as urgent and not being repaired until 26/01/12 could cripple my work.

Also for the days you are without bt vision, broadband and calls is there a way to gain compensation?

Any help or advice would be brilliant.

Thanks Bradley Kent

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Broadband light flashing orange. A "copper line fault"

if you have no voice service then as you have been advised it is a copper line fault on your line and until openreach carry out the repairs your service will be interrupted it is unlikely you will get it completed until the date given dependant on engineers workload in your area
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

If you live in an area with good 3G mobile coverage, you could buy a pay as you go broadband dongle.

If the Internet is vital to your work, you should have a backup plan, as some major faults can take weeks to fix.

0 Ratings
toekneem
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

If you live in an area with good 3G mobile coverage, you could buy a pay as you go broadband dongle.

If the Internet is vital to your work, you should have a backup plan, as some major faults can take weeks to fix.

Good advice for a lot of people.

For me the Internet/email is a hobby/pastime. If it went down for  a few days it would be an annoyance/inconvenience to me but thats all, but even i have a Three 3G MiFi wireless modem standing by. Just connect up, top up and go.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

another though as well if loss of service causes a work problem then maybe a business product within a faster service response time should be considered this is a residential product when all said and done and as toekneem comments would only cause annoyance/inconvenience not loss of earnings
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

A business would have to pay for Totalcare, which is very expensive. Most simply have a backup plan using ISDN2 on a spare line. Much slower (128kb), but better than nothing.

0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

The only compensation you will get is a refund of the broadband fee you have paid for the period the service wasn't working.

I might remind you of the Terms and Consitions for BT residential broadband, paragraph 21:

"You must not use the service for any commercial or business purpose whatsoever unless we have given you permission to do so. If we find that you are using the service in for business or commercial purposes we reserve the right to limit or terminate the service immediately."

You might not want to complain too loudly.