I've had BT internet for about a year and have always had stable 16-19mb download speed depending on time of day. This morning I had a normal downstream rate ~18mb and SNR -3 - but very little actual throughput/internet with everything timing out. Worked fine the night before.
I rebooted router and got ~15mb /SNR 6 and about 12mb. However my SNR keeps dropping to 5 and the throughput goes down with it to 4-7mb. Everytime I resync the SNR goes to 6 and the speed to 12 - then it drops again.
Things I've checked
- plugged in Home hub (normally use a belkin router) - no change
- plugged into test socket - no change - only 1 socket in house anyway!
- Tested wired connection - no change
- changed filter and ADSL cable - no change
- I'm 1km from exchange so not a distance issue
- Quiet line test (on cordless,no corded phone available) - slight hiss - is this normal?
I had a look at the wiring between the master socket and the grey box on the outside of my house and some of the insulation is slightly worn, the inner wiring appears intact though. I taped over the damaged areas for now. I can't honestly say if this is new or not, but I suspect its been like that for a while.
The latest stats from the home hub after I called BT and resynced are
ADSL Line Status
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 00:34:10
Downstream: 15.19 Mbps
Upstream: 1.223 Mbps
Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type: Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up): 5.5 dB / 6.3 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 18.6 dB / 11.7 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 19.9 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up): 56434 / 9
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up): 37410 / 18
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 1910 / 6
The downstream, SNR and line attenuation look normal, but the high number of CRCs/HECs and error seconds would lead me to believe there is a line fault - everytime the BT system drops the SNR, the errors stop a high throughput being achieved. The belkin router reports v.similar SNR, speed and line attentuation but doesn't record CRCs etc.
I've called up BT line faults and got through to broadband help - they ran a line test that seemed to throw up odd results I quote " The speed keeps going up and down". The lady conferred with a supervisor and they told me that this was likely the result of work at the exchange (Sunday 7am-8pm?) and to monitor it for a few days. I mentioned the condition of the wiring and the technical details but I'm not sure if it registered.
Can one of the mods advise on this explanation, because it came across as a bit of a brush off.
If the symptoms suggest a wiring fault - is the wiring from the grey outside box to the the internal master socket my responsibility or BTs? Theres conflicting answers on this forum about engineer charges!
Hope the above makes sense
Thanks in advance
Solved! Go to Solution.
Is this the grey box you are referring to if yes then Open reach are responsible to there
Thanks for the quick response
- Interweaving - shouldn't this be on by default with a recent connection? I never use the home hub so I didn't notice the latency type setting. My ping has always been 25-50 on speed test.
Any reason why this would suddenly switch itself off.
Plus my belkin router currently reports "interleaved path" - is this the same thing or is the belkin mis-reporting.
- Grey box, My one isn't like that -looks more like below, same thing?
I see the fast thing listed on the home hub stats, as I said maybe the Belkin is mis-reporting
I'm back on the normal socket now
Sorry for DP, horrible formating in my last post for some reason
I contacted the mods on Sunday evening but haven't heard anything back yet - but thats fair enough if its 3 working days response time. I did get a call back from BT as promised. The lady told me that BT are upgrading the exchange (Stratton St Margaret, Swindon) and other people in the area had reported problems, although she was very vague when I questioned her why this wasn't listed on the service status website or any sort of eta on when the work will be completed.
She initially wanted me to wait for a week and offered to send a new home hub. This is despite my repeated attempts to tell her that the home hub is fine and the problem was seen on a separate belkin router as well. After pressing for an engineer visit, I got told my line would be fully reset and this would take 4-5 days.
So I'm to leave it till the 23rd and then report back. Oh well, at least I'll have a spare home hub. my latest hub stats are below
Line state: Connected Connection time: 1 days, 01:03:59 Downstream: 15 Mbps Upstream: 1.188 Mbps ADSL Settings VPI/VCI: 0/38 Type: PPPoA Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A Latency type: Fast Noise margin (Down/Up): 5.5 dB / 6.1 dB Line attenuation (Down/Up): 18.7 dB / 11.6 dB Output power (Down/Up): 19.9 dBm / 12.4 dBm FEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0 CRC Events (Down/Up): 3321028 / 46 Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 HEC Events (Down/Up): 2800057 / 57 Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 84887 / 15
according to BT speed test I'm getting 3.88mb down and 0.94mb up.
Before Sunday I got 16-19mb download speed depending on time of day. The line is syncing slightly slower then it was, but all the CRC errors are causing problems.
I'll send another email to the mods, but if any of them read this - please pm me and restore my confidence in BT!