cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 28

Re: Broadband line throughput dropped massively overnight - wiring?

Go to solution
yes they usually do reply within 3 working days however they do have a backlog at the moment and replies are taking longer than normal as each one is dealt with personally and they take personal ownership of problems until resolved
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 28

Go to solution

Well, I heard back from mods  - interweaving has v.promptly been applied to the line.
I was asked to monitor it over the weekend and report back next week - hopefully next step is engineer visit if problem still present, I also got a call from a tier 2 guy who said pretty much the same and that the mods had taken over the case.

Unfortunately speed is still bad - hubstats from when I resynced the line this am are below. Note the constant error seconds (38285/38374) and still getting CRCs and HECs.

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:    Connected
Connection time:    0 days, 10:39:34
Downstream:    14.76 Mbps
Upstream:    864 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:    0/38
Type:    PPPoA
Modulation:    G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:    Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):    6.8 dB / 16.4 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):    18.7 dB / 11.6 dB
Output power (Down/Up):    19.9 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):    70732265 / 1024
CRC Events (Down/Up):    133284 / 15
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):    0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):    0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):    0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):    159567 / 22
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):    38285 / 13

I'm currently getting 6-7mb download so about 1/3 of normal speed.

Will see if anything changes...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 28

Go to solution
just a matter of monitoring the erros and see how they change
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 28

HiRe: Broadband line throughput dropped massively overnight - wiring?

Go to solution

Just thought I'd add an update to this on the off chance anyone else has the same symptoms and wants to know the answer.

BT care team are great and sorted out engineer visits without any trouble. Very impressed with BT engineers once they got on the job, they seemed genuinely stumped at first. After changing the faceplate, external junction box and switching me to another line pair they finally found the problem .

Part of the underground cable approx 50m from my house has I quote been "squashed", not severed - but obviosuly compromised in some way.

When they tested past the fault all was well. So the underground cable needs to be 'renewed'.

Unfortunutly this fault must only be affecting a dozen houses at most and most of my neighbours are all either non heavy downloaders or get their internet through the 'non-copper network supplier' (mentioning no names)

Either way engineer refused to commit to when or whether this fault would ever be fixed (unless it broke completely), but I'm guessing this must be pretty low priority!

So I can either live with it or not, time to compare packages!

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 25 of 28

Re: HiRe: Broadband line throughput dropped massively overnight - wiring?

Go to solution

So the underground cable needs to be 'renewed'.

Unfortunutly this fault must only be affecting a dozen houses at most and most of my neighbours are all either non heavy downloaders or get their internet through the 'non-copper network supplier' (mentioning no names)

Either way engineer refused to commit to when or whether this fault would ever be fixed (unless it broke completely), but I'm guessing this must be pretty low priority!

So I can either live with it or not, time to compare packages!

========================================================================

I think your philosophical view is a good one, having said that, our underground cables were replaced but only after the theft of the originals! ... You could do with either everybody complaining ... or that cable suffering more damage.

But either way, on a personal level the engineer who attended could not give that commitment anyhow without authority. (cost)

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 28

Go to solution

Well - thanks to the sterling efforts of the contact on the BT care team - its all fixed.

I retract any cynicism that may have come across in my previous post.

38m of cable renewed very promptly, bit of ip profile resetting and I'm back to normal.

Excellent example of how to retain a customer.

So to anyone else with similar complex issues, I'd recommend skipping the call centre and posting on this forum. The expertise present here will guide you as to the best way to resolve your problem. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 28

Go to solution

@MikeG1 wrote:

So to anyone else with similar complex issues, I'd recommend skipping the call centre and going straight to the care team.

Via this forum first, otherwise they will get snowed under with issues that can be resolved here Smiley Wink

I am pleased that Openreach decided to renew the cable.

Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 28

Go to solution
glad all is now solved but as Keith has said via the forum first please
0 Ratings