cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SusieM
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Broadband monthly usage BT Broadband Option 1

We started using BT Broadband Option 1 last month and have a download limit of 10GB each month.  We were quite surprised to receive an email saying we'd already used over 7.5GB during February.  We don't download music or films and most of our internet useage is sending a few emails, some browsing (but not excessive) and Facebook most days for a while.  Does anyone know whether using Facebook for games would cause our usage to be high?  I also bought a card making computer programme which involved some digital downloads, so maybe this has also added a lot to the usage.(Our previous internet provider gave a 40GB allowance, so we've never come across this problem before but the customer service was so bad we needed to change.) Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 11

Re: Broadband monthly usage BT Broadband Option 1

If you only just got the notification, you are still comfortably within the monthly limt. Playing games is one of the factors to beware of if your usage limit is in jeopardy. Keep an eye on your usage monitor and upgrade to 40GB if necessary.

[Edit: I assumed you had been using BT BB for the whole of February; if not, Webby's right and you are not so comfortable.]

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

When did your contract start?

The usage monitor resets on the first day of the month so your new usage allowance will start tomorrow.

The fact you said "we'd already used over..." leads my to think you've not had it since the start of the month though.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
SusieM
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Thank you both for your replies.

Our contract started on 20th January, so I'm guessing that we may have had 10GB to use for the rest of January, then the usage monitor reset on 1st February.  We didn't know about the usage monitor until the email arrived today, telling us we'd used 7.5GB of our monthly 10GB allowance.

We'll certainly need to keep an eye on the online games usage though.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

Yeah, best to keep an eye 🙂

You won't get charges the first time you exceed, however any subsequent over usage will incur charges at £5 per 5Gb or part thereof!
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 11

@SusieM wrote:

We didn't know about the usage monitor until the email arrived today

I assume they told you how to find it. If not, click MyBT at the top of this page then go to My services > Broadband and there should be a link to view your BB usage. (For some mysterious reason it can be missing. If so come back for an alternative.)

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
SusieM
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Thanks again to you both. It's made us a bit wiser how quickly the allowance can be used up.  Thanks also for pointing out where we can find the usage monitor.  I've made a note of it and will be checking the monitor daily. Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 11

@SusieM wrote:

Thanks again to you both. It's made us a bit wiser how quickly the allowance can be used up.  Thanks also for pointing out where we can find the usage monitor.  I've made a note of it and will be checking the monitor daily. Smiley Happy

Hi Susie.

For a quick link to the usage monitor, have a look at my shortcuts (link below) options 14d-14j - the latter two are for the newest version.

0 Ratings
KennyR
Contributor
Message 9 of 11

I too started using BT Broadband option 1 at the beginning of February.Because my previous ISP at the end up,only gave me 0.1 G download(hence my migration to BT) I was downloading quite a lot and duly got my e-mail saying I had used 7g of my permitted download.Up until last night(Feb 29th) I was 1.6G over my limit.Apparently BT waive any charge for the first month you are over.I am on the 4 month free option,but I would imagine if I was over my allowance for the month of March,I would still be charged.I may well upgrade to the 40G limit.I am lucky in that I am able to access the net (legally) from my place of work so I can (possibly) keep within my limits.Another way to keep within your allowance would be to use BTFon which does`nt count against your usage.

Kenny

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

If you go over your second month you'd be charged £5 per 5gig or part thereof that you use. They won't charge you for that month's broadband subscription.
0 Ratings