Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
MPR
Contributor
Message 1 of 19

Broadband noise/ drop out/ speed issues

Go to solution

Am starting a new post because last one has become too long. See http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/Broadband-dropping-out-noise-high-speed-slow/m... if you would like the history.

Here is the summary.  Long distance from the exchange.  Noisy line.  Speed low.  I have tried all the usual things many times.  Broadband engineers have been out x3 recently and confirmed that they can't detect any problems inside my house, or with the line coming into my house - although my hub typically shows a high noise margin.  Nevertheless, engineer swapped my line onto a new cable in the cabinet yesterday because he couldn't think of anything else to try.  He also replaced my HH3.  This morning noise had been reset very low, line speed coming into the house was high (for me), I was happily waiting for IP profile to drift upwards.  The readings from this morning are in the link above.  It was all looking good.

And then this is what happens (and I think it may be exactly what's happened before).  Come about 5pm, at time of busy traffic, the line (I think, I'm not a techie) with low noise margin decides it can't cope.  It drops out.  I have to reset hub to get back on the internet.  It comes back with higher noise and slower downstream line speed.

Any ideas out there?  Please try and avoid the standard usual stuff because I've done it all before.  Readings to follow.

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
MPR
Contributor
Message 2 of 19

Re: Broadband noise/ drop out/ speed issues

Go to solution

Here is the reading from this morning.  All looking good.  Noise down.  Downstream line speed high for me.  Waiting for IP profile to come up: http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/Broadband-dropping-out-noise-high-speed-slow/m...

Some of the ink rubbing off the black newspaper: http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/My-broadband-speed-s-about-as-good-as-yesterda...

0 Ratings
MPR
Contributor
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution

Here is what my hub was showing around 5pm when internet dropped out.  Notice very low noise.  Me thinking my line can't cope with that, hence drop out.  Me predicting line will come back with higher noise and slower downstream line speed.  Process will repeat over the next week until noise margin is incredibly high, speed is very low (that's my prediction anyway).  Here's the reading from when the line dropped out.

Connection Information

Line state:

Connected

Connection time:

0 days, 12:42:27

Downstream:

4.25 Mbps

Upstream:

448 Kbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI:

0/38

Type:

PPPoA

Modulation:

G.992.1 Annex A

Latency type:

Interleaved

Noise margin (Down/Up):

2.4 dB / 21.0 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up):

50.8 dB / 31.0 dB

Output power (Down/Up):

19.3 dBm / 11.9 dBm

FEC Events (Down/Up):

15405109 / 1084

CRC Events (Down/Up):

266534 / 1170

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution
Hi when you start to get a lower noise margin which is perfectly normal after dark i suggest you post your hubstats then and we can advise further regarding your noise margin
0 Ratings
MPR
Contributor
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

Here is my reading following reset of hub.  Notice noise has gone up again.  Line speed coming into house has dropped.

Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 00:25:37
Downstream:3.5 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):6.1 dB / 20.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):50.8 dB / 31.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up):19.2 dBm / 11.9 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):395653 / 16
CRC Events (Down/Up):36777 / 17
0 Ratings
MPR
Contributor
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

As I write this in fact, internet has dropped out again and I've managed to finish this on my Blackberry.

WHAT IS GOING ON

Will reset hub again and look at latest reading in a moment

Any ideas out there, from people who have had the same problem (long line, high noise, broadband dropping out)?

Help!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution
hi yes that certainly could be a cause of your problem suggest you re contact the mods and get them to look at the line again
0 Ratings
MPR
Contributor
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

Yes but drop out is not usual surely?

0 Ratings
MPR
Contributor
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

You know John & Mr Jolly, you've really tried hard for me (thank you).  I've friended you on my profile and everything!

But would you guys please mind staying off this post because I'd really like a fresh pair of eyes on it?

Thank you so much...

I really hope that doesn't cause offence...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution
no problems from me
0 Ratings