Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Arcanon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 28

Broadband off for days.

Hi all first post,

I don’t know if another member of perhaps a moderator could give any information on how long Broadband will be down in the affected areas?

I ran the gauntlet of customer services on Wednesday.....to be told 24 hours....rang again on Thursday to be told 5-6 hours......rang again on Friday to be told 24 hours....Was still off this morning (Monday) and I am now posting from work.

You get the general idea.....I’ve had no broad band for a week......orange broadband light flashing orange.

I’m a PC enthusiast and build my own so I’m not exactly incapable of following the long list of....turn it off....plug it in the master socket....change the zblockers...and the other fun tasks the call centre workers delight in making you do.

They have told me it’s not me.....but I cannot get an answer to how long this is going to be off for. My telephone number is among the starts listed on the plusnet info page in another thread which is fair enough but I would still like a realistic time scale.

A couple of service provider have equipment in my local exchange as a nearby friend has Broadband working as normal.....If it’s going to be weeks I’m switching provider....and will want out of the contract BT have breached!....Im paying for the premium service which isn’t cheap for broadband!

Could a kind moderator please find out when service will be restored to the area around Washington exchange in Tyne and Wear....I’m not interested in being refunded a tenner or two it in no way makes up for the fact I have no internet!

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
27 REPLIES 27
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 28

Re: Broadband off for days.

The major BB problems last week I believe have now been resolved, you may just need to re-boot the home hub in order for it to log back in the network.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Arcanon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 28

Thanks Dave, but I said Im not a noob with computers....I understand your trying to help....but I have done everything like like 50 times....last time this morning.

Its not about anything that I can do! I have a fault checker entry simply saying problem at no.1 BT Wholesale or whatever.

Please read my full post folks....they have stated it's not me or anything I can do!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 28

Simple answer is when the fault is fixed  it is affecting ALL isps not just bt the major outage has and is proving to be difficult to fix sorry to say its a matter of patience 

0 Ratings
Arcanon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 28

"it is affecting ALL isps not just bt the major outage has and is proving to be difficult to fix sorry to say its a matter of patience"

Patience is what I have displayed up to this point.....My best mates house which is 20 yards away (or less) and his broadband is on...so it's not ALL Isp's is it?

It's Isp's who sublet hardware from BT where the exchange only has BT in there....have problems as they go through BT.

My exchange has a couple of other providers with their own hardware and their service is not effected by BT's problems!

In short what I'm hopeing for is that someone employed by BT or that has heard from someone employed by BT as to how long this is likely to be....are we talking hours/day/weeks?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 28

The simple answer is unknown and even the other isps that use there own equipment in the exchanges known as LLU are affected in different ways as they still use the bt backbone network this outage is unfortunately proving difficult to fix and it taking far longer to sort then normal you say about your friend I have the same here next door neighbour like me on bt i have normal service and have had all the time he like you no service the only difference is between him and me is I am on bt up to 20mb eg 21cn network he is on up to 8 mb 20 cn network
0 Ratings
Arcanon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 28

*sigh* Your not following me are you? I have a contract with BT to provide a service which they are not.

The technical issue's surrounding this are not my problem.

If this is going to be much longer than a week it would be quicker to change provider and take my chances.....or even (god forbid) buy a wirless dongle....as I need internet for a mulitude of reasons including work....and "wait and see" is not a good enough plan....it's costing me money from lost work among other things!
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 8 of 28

Post your line stats ...

A BT speedtest, so we can see IP information.

And which exchange you are on ... to check the network.   😉

0 Ratings
Arcanon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 28

Thanks Roger...sadly I cant post info from home...as no broadband...Im at work at the mo.

I can say though that its the washington exchange in tyne and wear.

I have a fault logged with BT which I can check the status online...it just says..the faults at "bt retail servers"
0 Ratings
jd_123
Beginner
Message 10 of 28

My bt broadband has been down since wednesday, done all the resets etc. According to their service report page the problem is still ongoing so nobody seems to know how long it will be. I got no response from an email to them and its impossible to get through on the phone. Its bad enough not having broadband but when they won't tell you anything it just makes it worse.

I've already had to pay out for a wireless dongle @ £30, not to mention another £15 top up as I've just used the supplied 1GB allowance. I think its time to change providers to someone who doesnt rely on BT.

0 Ratings