cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Broadband on 2 lines

We have 2 phone lines on 1 account with BT. Both phone lines have weekend & evening calls and caller display. 1 line has BT unlimited broadband. The 2nd line has broadband from Virgin. As Virgin are giving up their national broadband i wanted to chenge that line to BT broadband as well. Having spent 30 minutes on the phone BT say it can't be done, why?

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 18

Re: Broadband on 2 lines

Because the customer service people are poorly trained and don't know how to do it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 18

So is there a way of doing it?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 18

Try the Options Team on 0800 800 030. Ignore the welcome to BT Business on your way through the choices.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 18

Hi Tetra

Yes it can be done.

You will need your second telephone line, the one with Virgin on to be moved onto a seperate account this is easy to do without any disruption to your service but won't be done whilst you're on the phone.

Once this is done and you have a second account, then all you need to do is add the bundle package of your choosing so it means you get the best deal available i.e. a new customer deal because you're a new customer to broadband on your second line, so if you go for one of the online deals, get the vouchers 🙂 

Hope that helps.

Uek

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 18

Thanks Uek

I did phone BT back regarding this option however they have said that to do so and provide a second BT broadband service they would charge over £32 a month. I'm not prepared to do that as unlimited broadband is currently advertised as from £7.50 a month.

Any other suggestions?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 18

Hey Tetra,

I obviously don't know what your current package is at the moment, (dont go providing any personal details or anything on here) however think of it this way.

You already have two seperate lines into the property, those are in essence two customers to BT because they are individual lines and that is how it is all worked out, everything is based on a line to the property and that is in theory one customer. 

So you have your line rental at £16.99 per month for both lines, that is £33.98 off the bat but you NEED to have your second line on a seperate account, this to BT will then look as follows:

Your main account is: One telephone line with broadband on it (Nice) 

Your second account is One telephone only account (why is there no BB for this line?! WE NEED TO SELL BB TO THIS CUSTOMER!)

Once you've then gotten your second account, in theory you could mitigate the charge of line rental by paying for Line Rental Saver as a one off cost (£169.90) so that brings your overall price down on your second account down to the £7.50 you mentioned above because, you're less the £16.99 each month on the second account. 

Your billing will then look like: 

Your main account: Line Rental £16.99 + BB at xx and any calling plans / features at xx = £xx.xx

Your second account: (Line Rental Saver) £0.00 + BB at £7.50 = £7.50

When you speak to BT, you need to specifically state you want your second line on its own account because you want to add broadband to it as a bundle package, that can't all be done on one account so it needs to be seperate 🙂

Hopefully you get my meaning with all of this 🙂

Kind regards,

Uek

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 18

Hi

That's what was discussed when I phone them back but they are adamant that broadband on the second line would be £32 a month which was the bit I didn't understand. When I suggested the advertised price of £7.50 they said they could't do that. I asked why not and the operater said that was the way it was but that was the best he could do. I said that in that case I would look at a different ISP for line 2 and his response was "that's OK, carry on". That didn't seem to me to be good business for BT!

To clarify we currently have 1 account with 2 lines.

Line 1 has unlimited broadband + evening & weekend calls (£10 per month) + caller display (£1.75 per month) + line rental (£16.99 per month)

Line 2 has line rental (£16.99 per month) + caller display (£1.75 per month) Broadband on this line is currently supplied by Virgin.

All we want to change is the braodband on line 2 from Virgin to BT at a sensible price.

I have seen a package for around £16 a month which is unlimited BB + anytime calls. I just can't seem to get BT to agree to anything near that price.

I'm happy to make it 2 separate accounts but just need BB on line 2 to come in at a sensible price which BT sales say they can't do.

I don't know where to go next apart from getting a different ISP to provide the BB on line 2 or move our entire service to another provider.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 18

Hey Tetra,

I'm sorry you're having such difficulty with this, the advisor on the phone sounds to me as though he trying to sell you a broadband package as a standalone package added to your account, these come in at a lot more money which explains where that figure is coming from, as I mentioned before you can't have two bundle deals on the one account.

I'd recommend poking one of the community moderators on here, there's quite a few of them posting in these billing threads and they should be able to help. 

I promise you what I'm advising you of can be done and you're right, it would be silly for BT not to captalise and charge you for broadband on a second line, that's not how a company makes money.

Kind regards,

Uek

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 18

P.S. when this issue is resolved, make sure you recontract the telephone lines for 12 months and your caller display will be free of that £1.75 a month and £21.00 a year.

0 Ratings