cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tappers
Message 1 of 5

Broadband possible socket problem

Hi,

I am new here so hope this is in the right section.

I am trying to help my sister with their internet connection. With the router connected to the BT socket downstairs it works fine. But when I take the router upstairs and connect it to the socket in their study on the top floor the broadband doesn't connect.

The socked works as I have tried it with a phone and it makes and receives calls with no problems and I cannot hear any noise or anything dodgy on the line.

At the moment I am wondering if there is a problem with the boxes that are used. (they didn't install them it was done by the previous owner).

The downstairs box looks like this:

downstairs.jpeg

and the upstairs box looks like this:

upstairs.jpega

Could this be the problem?

Thanks for any thoughts / comments.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Broadband possible socket problem

when you fit a filtered faceplate like adsl v1 which you have then that is the only socket in which your broadband will work.  no other filters are required in other sockets

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
tappers
Message 3 of 5

thanks for the reply.

So is there no way of getting the broandband router working anywhere else in the house except for that socket?

Is the only way to complete this by replacing the box?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

if you want broadband upstairs then you can replace the filtered faceplate with a standard nte5 faceplate and then it will work in all sockets and every socket will need a filter.  check to see if the detachable filtered faceplate has terminals 1-6 and also A & B.  if it has A & B then conencting the extension wiring to theres 2 terminals will make that socket like normal and broadband will work using a filter.

your conenction speed may suffer using the extension socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

what are the other openreach sockets next to the v1 could you post a picture
0 Ratings