I am stuggling with the quality of my BB connection for about a year now. BT is not receptive to complaints, they claim that the speedtest shows nothing wrong.
Problem is that the exchange Im connected to is way oversubscribed. Last upgrade to the exchange is done on 2006, so looks like no investment plans here. Also the exchange is not on the upgrade plans, so it feels like we're living in a black hole as far as BT wholesale is concerned. To top it up, the exchange is not equiped for 3rd party vendors, so we're realy stuck with BT.
Speed tests reveal that the speed is ok, 8MB -256KB. But the latency is way off, 200ms at the moment.
I reads omewhere that BT has to adhere to some performance indicators with regards to oversubscription but have not found details on it. I have asked for a deadlock letter a week ago but no reaction so far.
Any suggestions on how what 'preasure' can be applied on BT /BT Whole sales to get some resolution to the oversubscription problem?
Local MP is already meeting with BT representatives but not having much luck either, he keeps being fobbed off by BT.
PS. Exchange in question is the FORD exchange in the EH37 postcode area
Hi Welcome to the community forums
Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html
once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more
Also if you would post you exchange name we may be able to help further with any update information
This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators
The exchange name was mentioned in the original post.
I'm reasonable familiar with the in's and outs of BB diagnostics. My connection to the exchange seem to be very normal, no real issues.
Exchange gives ADSL type service.
Problem for the speed test is that it measures speeds for about 30 sec. When I download a software upgrade for my PC ( MAC) things are very different, the download speed is all over the place, with very frequent drops to well below 1MB/s
Modem statistics ( CISCO 527W )
|DSL Modulation Mode:||G.DMT|
|Downstream Rate:||8128 Kbps|
|Upstream Rate:||448 Kbps|
|Downstream Noise Margin:||9.4db|
|Upstream Noise Margin:||23.0db|
|Downstream Line Attenuation:||18.5|
|Upstream Line Attenuation:||9.5|
|Downstream Transmit Power:||19.8|
|Upstream Transmit Power:|
Speed test ( 18:11 )
MAC's view of network speed during BT speedtest, note the variance in download speed.
BT test results
Download speed: 6.04
Upload speed: 0.27
Latency: 60.36 ms
can you please post the further diagnostics part of the speed test
further test results, not...
type Exception report
description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request.
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Cannot forward after response has been committed org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.doForward(RequestProcessor.java:1078) org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processForwardConfig(RequestProcessor.java:396) org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.java:232) org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:1913) org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doPost(ActionServlet.java:462) javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:710) javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)
note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache Tomcat/6.0.16 logs.
Please read my ful post.
As mentioned earlier the download test only measures the speed forabout 30 sec, when I download a large file , like a patch for the PC the speed very quickly drops below 1MB/s.
More important is the latency, as I found at various places on the internet a good indicator for oversubscription, see following post:
The latency causes skype to fail, watching streaming films from lovefilm to pause frequently, BBCIplayer to fail ,etc etc. This is not detected by the BT speed test.
result of traceroute ( still running)
traceroute: Warning: bbc.co.uk has multiple addresses; using 220.127.116.11
traceroute to bbc.co.uk (18.104.22.168), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
1 srp527w (192.168.0.1) 1.525 ms 1.658 ms 2.282 ms
2 * * *
3 22.214.171.124 (126.96.36.199) 11.752 ms 701.852 ms 247.512 ms
4 188.8.131.52 (184.108.40.206) 52.843 ms 10.988 ms 10.686 ms
5 220.127.116.11 (18.104.22.168) 24.756 ms 23.754 ms 22.853 ms
6 22.214.171.124 (126.96.36.199) 20.284 ms 1796.876 ms 221.324 ms
7 188.8.131.52 (184.108.40.206) 33.305 ms 2256.862 ms 2622.872 ms
8 acc1-10gige-1-3-0.mr.21cn-ipp.bt.net (220.127.116.11) 1227.799 ms 22.171 ms
acc1-10gige-1-2-0.mr.21cn-ipp.bt.net (18.104.22.168) 22.397 ms
9 core1-te0-14-0-1.ealing.ukcore.bt.net (22.214.171.124) 30.855 ms
core2-te0-13-0-15.ilford.ukcore.bt.net (126.96.36.199) 34.917 ms
core2-te0-3-5-0.ilford.ukcore.bt.net (188.8.131.52) 32.279 ms
10 peer2-xe1-0-0.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net (184.108.40.206) 93.158 ms
peer2-xe2-1-0.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net (220.127.116.11) 33.869 ms 55.004 ms
11 * * *
12 * * *
13 * * *
14 * * *
15 * * *
16 * * *