cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Broadband ridiculously slow, technical support abysmal

I've moved and after waiting 6 weeks to have a phone installed my broadband speed is 0.24 Mbps. I've done a performance test which seems to state that the line is set at 0.25 Mbps:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.24 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.1 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 0.25 Mbp

Phoned BT and after waiting 20min to get through I got a person that seems to be completely ignorant of all technical issues (even worse than me). 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Broadband ridiculously slow, technical support abysmal

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

I put 192.168.1.254 to get to home hub manager, then I have options:

Home   Settings   Advance Settings or Troubleshooting

Wireless    Broadband  Home Network    Firewall    System

Which do I select to see those lines? I am connected directly to the filter and master, there is only one socket. I did the quiet line test and it was quiet.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Which hub are you using? If hh4 then as I said in post go to troubleshooting then logs and look for the 2 lines of stats

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

My advice is not to hold your breath, we have been waiting 31 years for a good reliable service from BT!  I doubt if there has been a month in that time that there has not been an engineer up a pole in the village fidling witrh something to make it work for someone.  Normally they improve it for whomsoever complained last and screw someone else.  The old copper line is overloaded and they will do nothing about it.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

I am using a Hub 4. I went to the event log under troubleshooting and see a lot of events:

19:07:58, 18 Feb.  IN: ACCEPT [54] Connection opened (Port Forwarding: TCP [192.168.1.64]:41114 <-​-​> [86.182.19.247]:41114 -​ -​ -​ [87.92.36.69]:53259 CLOSED/SYN_SENT ppp0 NAPT)

but nothing like the lines you have.  Can I select a category rather than all to find this data. Sorry if I appear slow but I'm not an IT person. Didn't think I had to be to get broadband in the UK.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

Why do Britons put up with this **bleep** company? Do you really have to do business with BT to get the intial line installed? Seems like every company that starts with British is **bleep** BBC BA BT.... I think the B should stand for buggered!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

The lines are when router last connected to internet. Can you post the stats from troubleshooting then helpdesk

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

Unless you can get virgin cable then regardless of which ISP you choose you will still need openreach to instal your phone and broadband

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

Is this what you need?

Information for Helpdesk agents
When contacting the BT Broadband helpdesk, the agent might ask you for details about your BT Home Hub. This page contains all of the information they are likely to request.

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068341+NQ32737241
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.130.1.26 (Type A) Last updated 17/02/15
4. Board version:BT Hub 4A
5. ADSL uptime:0 days, 00:03:25
6. Bandwidth:446 / 287
7. Data sent/received:0.9 MB / 3.5 MB
8. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
9. BT Wi-fi:Yes
10. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub4-89TW
11. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
12. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:WPA and WPA2
13. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
14. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub4-89TW
15. 5 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 a/n (up to 300 Mb/s))
16. 5 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
17. 5 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. Firewall:Default
19. MAC Address:cc:33:bb:91:e6:bc
20. VPI/VCI:0 / 38
21. Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
22. Latency type:Interleaved
23. Software variant:-
24. Boot loader:-
0 Ratings