cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Broadband security

My home smart devices are growing, plugs, switches, thermostats, speakers etc.

Can anyone tell me what steps I should take to safeguard myself from being hacked as I now understand these wireless devices are very vulnerable?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Broadband security

The most basic and easy way to secure your devices is to ensure that any wireless devices that come with a default password should have the password changed. The new password should be at least 10 character long if possible and if the device accepts them non-alphanumeric characters should be included.

Message 3 of 6

Thank you for your reply. I am 70+ so I may have forgotten but I cannot remember any of the individual devices having their own passwords. The most recent device I have added to my network is an Echo Dot and I cannot remember it having any password.

I was wondering if it would be possible to connect something like a TP-Link wireless router to my BT Smart Hub and have all the wireless devices attach to that, but I do not think that would make any difference to the security.

Is there a way of,

1. directly connecting my desktop (used for banking, buying online etc) to the BT Smart Hub and then have a wireless router wired to the BT Smart Hub to connect the wireless devices in a way that someone cannot hack access to my desktop through the wireless devices.
  2. splitting the connection from the BT Master Socket so that one cable goes to the BT Smart Hub and another cable goes to something like TP-Link wireless router.

Am I just being paranoid??

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

You are worrying unnecessarily and aside from option 2 not being technically feasible, option 1 won't really provide any extra security.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

@PaulDIY wrote:

Am I just being paranoid??

Yes.

Provided you have strong passwords for your devices and as I have said, not using the default passwords if the device has a password you should be fine.

The way that most hackers/scammers get details is through "social engineering" such as they send scam emails that the recipient responds to or they telephone call and ask questions or get the recipient to allow access to their computer.

There are various Internet websites that give good advice.

Common online scams and how to avoid them - Which?

Message 6 of 6

Many thanks I will check it out

0 Ratings