cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2jay
Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Broadband slowing down again how do I proceed please?

Hi

Am slowing to a standstill here again. I can only expect 2.5Mb here anyway but,

May 5th download went down to 256K, called helpline, they reset and by May 10th went back up to 2448k

By June, same again, call centre sorted 

By July download 952k, call centre got engineer booked to come and sort out fault, Openreach engineer checked everything & replaced bits on the telegraph pole our line goes to, router stats of 3872 downstream on the line so he thought we might get above 2.5Mb & download speed in the next few days did get up to 2.8m hurray!!

On 3rd August download speed had dropped again, to 1249k & IP Profile was down to 1750k so called the helpline again to get it resolved, in response to my insisting that I wanted a proper solution and not to have to keep calling I was told all sorts of nice things would be done & the IP profile would be reset forever!!

Eventually the speed went back up again, not as good as before though. And ADSL type on router stats shows "fast" not "interleave"?

Have followed everything I could see in this board. I am connected with a cable  to a NTE5 master sockert with bell circuit filter!

Silent test is very silent!

BT speed test shows;

Download speed 1309

DSL connection rate 2912 down / 64 up

IP profile 2000

Router (Belkin F5D 7633-4a) says

ADSL type = Fast

2912 down / 64 up

Noise margin 9.4 / 7.0

Output power 18.7 / 11.6

Attenuation 61.0 / 31.0

- Is there any way to access the log from btspeedtester to see if the low upload speed was there on previous runs (sorry haven't noticed the figure being that low previously)?

-Am looking at changing my Belkin router - apparently there's a Netgear that holds onto the connection better?

- Am loathe to switch off or reset router, as this evidently slows things down for a while too?

Help???

Thank you for looking hope there's something I can do!

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Broadband slowing down again how do I proceed please?

Hi the only records held by the bt speed tester are held by bt wholesale for service providers reference only

as to other routers there is als the BT Business hub2700hgv it has a good reputation for holding on to long lines for reference I use one myself and know many on here who do as well and also recommend the hub can be them they can be purchased from that well known auction site just ensure you purchase a boxed one
2jay
Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Help! Can't even run the BT speedtest now, just get an error message. What can I do? I want to get back to 3872/448 readings on the router; I want to get the ISP profile back up; I want not to have to do this every couple of weeks! Do I phone India 😞 as it's not worked so far?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

you are not alone with btspeedtester - few reports or problems and I also tried with same result

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
2jay
Contributor
Message 5 of 16

Well I finally got fed up and switched power off / on. Look at me now!

ADSL

Type

Fast

Status

No Defect

Downstream   

Upstream

Data rate

Noise margin

Output power

Attenuation

Also managed part 1 of speed test;

Download speed achieved during the test was - 2237 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :3040 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 2500 Kbps

- so upstream is back to normal (wonder what that was about?) and download better. Wonder if I'll manage to get profile up any more and speed above 2500 again

Anyone know  / understand what on earth happened to fix this?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

Hi Your IP profile is correct for your connection speed connection 3040k IP profile 2500k what has happened is your line has taken time to re stabilise after the engineers work
0 Ratings
2jay
Contributor
Message 7 of 16

Yes but, the engineer was here 5/7/11 (after resets in March, May & June from Indian call centre) and the download speed he left as 2.8, then it dropped to 1249 so called India who reset and download got up to 2267

- then last week it fell again 1209 download and only 64 upload so posted on this forum (as it has been a problem since May, wouldve posted sooner but had a teensy prob with email password see my other post!!!) anyway this morning's download speed  was 1397 and DSL connection 2912 and now i've 2237 download, 3040 DSL connection and & upload speed 448k..

- just wondering what I could do to find out the cause - some kind of monitoring perhaps? - call me a pessimist but just in case it happens again

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

The exchange equipment has seen your connection as stable and has increased your connection speed accordingly as broadband is a rate adaptive product it will constantly change as line conditions change all you can do is to try and ensure your connection is as noise free as possible
0 Ratings
2jay
Contributor
Message 9 of 16

I 'm not aware of anything changing at this end, how would I make sure that things are noise free please?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

you are connected to the master socket but do you have any phone extension sockets in other rooms?  have you tried the quiet line test?

your connection speed currently is very ggod for your attenuation as kitz site shows only about 2/2,3mb 

check this post for other possible problems  

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.