cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spet0114
Message 1 of 4

Broadband so slow it can't be measured!!!

Hi Folks,

I really need some help.

Last month, we moved house. In our old place, we'd had a good broadband speed, in our new place it's ludicrously slow.

I'm not exagerating. It's so slow that the BT speedtester won't load up, even after an hour of waiting. This, is a problem because every time I phone India, they ask me to do a speed test and say that the data it produces is vital to their diagnosis of the problem.

In our new place, we're using the same PC, same home-hub, same broadband filter - everything is exactly the same as before (when it gave a good speed), all that has changed is the location. Although we've only moved to the other side of the road, I think we're conncected to a different exchange.

We've made several calls to India, and each time they claim it'll be sorted in either a couple of working days, or even a few hours. Suffice it to say they're always wrong and the problem persists. Last time, the guy in India suggested that my wife go out and buy a new ASDL filter, despite the fact that the same filter worked fine in our old house 100 yards away.

Any thoughts about what to do?????

Thanks in desperation

Adrian

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Broadband so slow it can't be measured!!!

Hi Welcome to the forums

Here are some help pages done by CL Keith http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/adslmenu.html

also post your full hub stats by entering 192.168.1.254 into your web browser address bar and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1

Can you also post the full results from BT Speedtest speedtester.bt.com   speedtest.jpg

Have you tried connecting to the test socket at the rear of the master socket  testsocket2.jpg

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings
spet0114
Message 3 of 4

Hi John46,
Thanks for your post. I've tried to answer your questions (below), but as I'm not at home, I don't have all the answers.
Cheers
Adrian

@john46 wrote:

Hi Welcome to the forums

Here are some help pages done by CL Keith http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/adslmenu.html

also post your full hub stats by entering 192.168.1.254 into your web browser address bar and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1

I'll do this tonight and post tomorrow.

Can you also post the full results from BT Speedtest speedtester.bt.com

NO!!! The b/b speed is so slow that speedtester.bt.com will not load!!! That's my main problem!!!!!

Have you tried connecting to the test socket at the rear of the master socket  

I don't have a socket like that -  only a standard phone socket at the wall, which goes to an ASDL filter and then to the Homehub.

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal.

Again, will try this tonight. We do get a lot of 'crackle' on our phone line, but only when the b/b is turned on.

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

Yep, I understand this, and appreciate any help given.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Ok no problem post back when you can there is always someone around to help
0 Ratings