cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dogchester
Message 1 of 5

Broadband speed & router stats

I'm hoping someone will be able to comment on the download speeds I'm getting for my broadband (BT opt 1).

According to the BT checker, I should be able to get up to 6Mb, and I'm fairly close to the exchange (700m). My router stats look like this:

ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed2272 kbps288 kbps
Line Attenuation25 db7 db
Noise Margin26 db30 db

After a lot of tidying up of the internal phone wiring these are now fairly consistent whether I'm plugged in to the master socket or one of the extensions. These were taken from the router fairly soon after rebooting it earlier.

My question is whether the 2Mb downstream I'm getting seems reasonable, or could I be expecting more than that? And is it possible that the 2Mb is being imposed as a limit, rather than being the maximum speed?

Any thoughts and comments gratefully received.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
RPFranklin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: Broadband speed & router stats

If you are that close to the exchange, there must be something wrong with your line, it takes a circuitous route to get to you, or you are on a 2Mbit package still. I am approximately 3/4km (750m) from my exchange, and get the following:

Speed: 8126 down, 440 up

Att: 18.5 down, 8.5 up

SNR: 19.5 down, 32.5 up

Although, the 7db up attenuation you are getting suggests that is the limit that your line can support, rather than you being on a 2Mbit capped connection.

0 Ratings
dogchester
Message 3 of 5

I did wonder whether I might still be on a 2Mb fixed connection, as I've been with BT for a number of years and it was probably a 2Mb limit when it was first set up. Would BT have bumped me up to the 8Mb max package when it became available automatically or would I need to hassle them?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

You are on a fixed speed 2M connection - the 288k upload speed gives this away (ADSLMax uses 448k).

BT does not automatically upgrade customers. You have to ask for it and agree to a new contract (minimum 12 months). That said, you should be offered a price reduction of some kind when you sign up.
dogchester
Message 5 of 5

Thanks for your replies. Time to contact BT then.

0 Ratings