cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NKBoon
Beginner
Message 11 of 35

Re: Broadband speed and connection issues - looking for help

we are using the main telephone socket for the house with a filter attached. Not sure what you mean by a test socket, and we only have the one filter.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 35

the constant drops in connection are the reason for your slow speed.

are you able to use the test socket  test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
NKBoon
Beginner
Message 13 of 35

Interesting. I removed the front and there was no test socket...from earlier conversations via chat I belive I have a non NTE5 socket.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 35

Ok so only wires connected are on terminals 2&5?  Any chance you can borrow another filter to try especially if you have no other phone sockets in your home

try quiet line test. Dial 17070 option 2. Should be quiet and best done with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
NKBoon
Beginner
Message 15 of 35

We have another scoket, but it is simply taken off of the master socket...would that make a difference?

The quiet line test was ok, I just tried it again and it is fine.

Not sure about terminals 2 & 5 I will take a look.

We haven't got access to another filter at the moment
0 Ratings
NKBoon
Beginner
Message 16 of 35

ive looked into the socket there are 6 terminals

terminal 2 has two wires connected

terminal 3 has one

terminal 4 has one

terminal 5 has two

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 35

Is that the master socket?  You only need terminals 2&5 connected in both sockets. However I would have expected 2 wires on terminals 2&5 so your extension socket works so does extension socket actually work?

the bell wire on terminal 3 can cause problems. 

bellwire removal

0 Ratings
NKBoon
Beginner
Message 18 of 35

ok, thanks for the info. The article you linked to indicates that as i have a master socket with one face plate (ie not a NTE5 socket) i am unable to make any changes to the insides.

looks like i'll have to wait for an openreach engineer to come and inspect.

interestingly everything was working fine until 7-10 days ago, so i'm at a loss as to what has caused the sudden issues.

thanks for your help in trying to resolve
0 Ratings
NKBoon
Beginner
Message 19 of 35

by the way, yes that was the master socket. the extension socket had similar issues when we tried to use it (ie connection dropping out)
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 35

If the problem is being caused by your internal wiring then unfortunately you may be charged the callout fee for engineer visit of £129.99. 

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12439/c/

0 Ratings